Notices

bottom paint

Old 10-29-2005, 07:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default bottom paint

Any good way to remove bottom paint,I want to redo the boat this year and want it to look good,the existing is all chipping off,looks like it was sanded before they painted it.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bottom paint

If the paint was put on right the gel coat was roughed up and the bottom paint was put on. I got an estimate from a glass shop to strip it and re-gel coat it for about $2,000 they also recommended applying VC-17 bottoming paint about $1,200, still a bottom paint but better looking and can re-coat when needed. It is on 26' foot hull.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by czy40p
If the paint was put on right the gel coat was roughed up and the bottom paint was put on. I got an estimate from a glass shop to strip it and re-gel coat it for about $2,000 they also recommended applying VC-17 bottoming paint about $1,200, still a bottom paint but better looking and can re-coat when needed. It is on 26' foot hull.
I would like to leave it off but i keep it in the water,i could scrub it weekely but that would get old,I am going to find a color that looks good on the boat.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 245 limited
Any good way to remove bottom paint,I want to redo the boat this year and want it to look good,the existing is all chipping off,looks like it was sanded before they painted it.
245 limited, I'm not sure where you are located. There is a guy here in south eastern Pa. that does dry ice blasting. He mostly does boat bottoms. In a week or so he is going to blast the graphics off my 41 Velocity. I'll post how we make out. BOB POWELL

Last edited by bobpowell; 10-29-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Petit Vivid bottom paint on my Stinger. Bright white multi-season paint. Looking at the boat you can't tell it's painted. Paint comes in several different colors and they can be blended to exactly match what you want. Great product. Check them out. Picture is of the boat with bottom paint applied.
Attached Thumbnails bottom paint-dcp03077.jpg   bottom paint-dcp02959.jpg   bottom paint-dcp02966.jpg  

Old 10-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Registered

There was a 60 foot Sunseeker here this summer that had the Vivid white bottom paint on it--you couldn't tell it was painted. The owner complained about stains showing on the white but that would happen without the paint.

Mine has black bottom paint and I talked to Petit about coverage over the black with VIvid--they said whiate and yellow would cover the black without any issues if surface prep was done properly. THey've got great info on website.

The paint guy at the marina suggest I think about the problem the forklift woudl cause with anything but black bottom paint so I put the project on hold till I can get the boat an my own lift but as soon as I can get to that point I'm going with Vivid.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would like to try and match the color of the boat,looks horrible right now,I got the boat in may and put it in for the summer,I will redo it this winter,I am storing it in my works warehouse so I have heat!!
Attached Thumbnails bottom paint-108_6441.jpg  
Old 11-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i painted my first boat and i couldnt stand looking at it on a trailer. i will not paint this boat. i used it all summer this year and i leave my boat in the water. i pulled it every two and sometimes three weeks to clean the bottom and your right it does get old.the problem is not the bottom of the boat, its the outdrive and the tabs that get the worst of it. this year i will just store it and drop it when i want. but i will spend alot of over nights on it.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered

I got my bottom paint off with oven cleaner, I srayed it on and let it sit for an hour and then blew it off with a pressure washer. I then painted the bottom with PPG deltron. ( my son did the paint, he didnt trust the old fart). Brian
Old 11-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by scarrab30
I got my bottom paint off with oven cleaner, I srayed it on and let it sit for an hour and then blew it off with a pressure washer. I then painted the bottom with PPG deltron. ( my son did the paint, he didnt trust the old fart). Brian
How did the oven cleaner work? did it get all the paint off?