Notices

Engine hatches, how to build

Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Engine hatches, how to build

Thanks Jon,

For something like I want to build I didn't think figuring the reverse would be too hard. It's just a rectangular box. I figure I can make it slighty larger and deeper.

Dave M.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya if you are going square box then you probably are ok. The MDF will work for you. As was mentioned earlier you can not do hard corners in a mold either so make sure you have the corners rounded off or the glasss will lift and create bubbles. You can always fix these things later and or glass hard edges in after you pup the thing out of the mold. Also make sure you will be able to pup the part out of the mold. In other words make sure that like the top is not wider then the bottom of the hatch (as it would sit on the boat) thus making it neccasary to break the mold to get the part out.

Jon
Old 11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I was thinking I could make a mold to make the job much easier. I was thinking of using wood but the glass would probably want to bond to it. What can you make a mold out of or what can you put on it that would keep the glass from bonding to it?

You can make your mold from wood. To keep the resin/gel from sticking coat the wood with PVA or release wax. Use clay to seal the seams and make your radiuses. If you are using reverse angles make sure you have planned a way to remove the mold from the part because the part will not release from the mold. Either way don't expect the part to just fall out.

There will be finish work post mold because the wood grain will transfer to the part.

Also, be sure your mold is stiff or shrinkage and heat of the curing resin can cause the mold to warp.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Registered

build a wood sand box the shape of the hatch you want. Tape the inside of the the wood with box tape. Yes box tape. if every thingis true you can lay in 60 mils of gel before you glass it up. Pop the part and wet sand it. of you have the tools and knowledge this should be an easy project. go buy a pair shoes and use the box as a small scale experiminet. Make sure you use a structure on the outside of the box from keeping it fro moving. You could make one hatch in 8 hours.

bottomsupboatrepair.com
Old 11-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks guys, great ideas here. I was planning on taking Bill's advice and doing a test run with a small box.

What type of glass should I use? I looked in some catalogs at the sizes available. Should I try to work with large pieces (I know it's harder) to avoid seems? The hatch is going to be approx 66" x 36".

My current hatch has the back seat built in. I like that, easy engine access. I hope to include that in my new hatch. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails Engine hatches, how to build-int.jpg   Engine hatches, how to build-rub.jpg  
Old 11-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Registered

What's wrong with your current hatch? Is it fiberglass on both sides?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Catagory5
What's wrong with your current hatch? Is it fiberglass on both sides?
It is glass on both sides, the outside is gelcoated. If you notice in the pic, I attached the 2x2 angle iron to raise it a few inches. It BARELY clears the motor now. If I move the angle iron up any more the hatch will be higher than the gunnels and look crappy. Also, I had to doctor the way my hinges attach in the back. I don't think I can go any higher. I want to add CMI headers and need some more clearance. The raised part of the hatch in the back used to be flush with the back of the boat. I thought about modifying the existing hatch. I don't want to mess with it because I know I always have that to fall back to if my new project doesn't work right.

You know how it is. Winters coming, and I need/want something to do.
Attached Thumbnails Engine hatches, how to build-rear.jpg   Engine hatches, how to build-angle.jpg   Engine hatches, how to build-hinge.jpg  

Old 11-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Registered

Got ya!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Dave
I just had one built out of Kevlar by Fiberglass Plus. I wanted to eliminate the sunpad and add scoops. If you decide to have it done by a professional, I can highly recommend this company.
Ed
Thanks for the recomendation. I am also planning on eliminating the sunpad/engine hatch cover combo for an all glass unit. Can you provide the telephone # for Fiberglass Plus? Richard
Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fiberglass Plus
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742
(732) 899-8523

Quick Reply: Engine hatches, how to build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.