31 ft single step bottom job

Notices

31 ft single step bottom job

Old 12-28-2005, 04:16 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 31 ft single step bottom job

The bottom of my 31 fastech has numerous scraps and chips. The boat was kept in a boatel before I got it and it shows. I've already has someone do some work on the hull and the areas they worked looked good, but not all of it was completed.
What should I have expected to pay to have the entire bottom cleaned up? What would be added to that cost to have 7-8 spots around the rub rail and engine hatched patched as well?
I think I got a good price for the job, but I need to get them to finish the job now. I'll post what I've paid after I get some feedback.
Russ C.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 31 ft single step bottom job

Does it really matter what they charged if they didn't finish the job?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:24 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Catagory5
Does it really matter what they charged if they didn't finish the job?
LOL, I figured I didn't explain that very well. They agreed they didn't finish and will take the boat back in 2 weeks when they clear the workshop out of the boats they have in there now. Their excuse is that they quoted a really low price that only included the "pad" area, but that's not what I wanted/ expected. The other areas I asked them to repair after I brought them the boat were un-quoted and the addl cost he asked for at delivery actually seemed low to me.
I just want to get a good job at a fair price, and will when this is done...but what price is fair?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered

Russ,

I'm glad you took that in the light it was intended,tongue in cheek. Anyway it would be impossible to give a price idea without seeing the boat. From what you have stated could be a few hundred dollars but could EASILY run into a few thousand dollars. Did they give you a quote or an ESTIMATE?

Maybe some other guys feel more comfortable throwing out numbers.

Don't foget the boat probablly has to be taken off the trailer and blocked or turned upside down. Niether of which are free.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had approx a dozen chips and a couple scratches from lifts repaired on the bottom of my boat right after I bought it. None larger than a pencil, and a spot on the side above the rub rail from dock contact. Also had the deck forward of the w/s lightly buffed,and the complete bottom buffed. Boat was lifted off the trailer with those portable air side lifts. They had the boat for 4 months over winter. It was supposed to have been a 2 week job, but I guess it turned into a fill in job. It was sitting on the lift stands inside the full time in one of teh bays. Didn't seem like a very wise $$$ plan, since the bill was only $1100 total and mine was taking up space. Don't know how they can stay in business at that rate. Had to have lost thier azz. I was expecting 2x the amount at minimum. But, it had indoor heated storage all winter, so who am I to question their methods? Repair turned out perfect! Used them previously on my SeaRay Pachanga with excellant results too.

In Indianapolis, IN
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Category5.....I'm a real easy going guy and your response was funny and true.
To detail the best I can here, the forks from a boatel lift had rubbed, chipped and scratched the hull all along the area just outside the outer bunks as it now sits on my trailer. From the transom to just forward midship. The step had 4-5 areas in it where the gelcoat was chipped and the fiberglass was exposed. The keel near the transom was chipped a bit as well. There were probably a dozen small areas that had scratches that were filled and refinished on the bottom. (but probably another 7-8 that were not touched) Above the waterline there were a series of scratches along the port side from some A-hole that had crappy bumpers out and a couple other small areas that needed minor attention.
The original quote to do the bottom and fix some holes in the anchor locker was $1900. When I brought them the boat I asked them to go over the entire boat instead of just the bottom and expected another $500 bill but was charged $200. (I think that was partly because I complained about the missed items along the bottom of the boat.)
After 2 days of sleeping on it I called them and said I expected a $500 extra charge for the extra items and would like them to finish the job. In return I would pay them the other $300 I was expecting to pay. I think they are going to do it that way, but the worker bee has to wait for the owner to come back into town to agree to that deal.
Am I being unreasonable/ unrealistic? Should this job have costed more or less??? I know you are guessing without seeing the boat but I can tell you it had alot of areas with minor damage along the bottom.

Thanks for the help.
Russ C.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:47 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

OH. BTW, The boat was removed from the trailer but left upright. This is a one man operation so I'm glad I wasn't there to see how he lifted the boat!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered

Lifting the boat is one thing. Rolling it is another. We NEVER let customers watch that!!! Kinda like the funeral home doesn't let you watch them move a loved one.

From what your saying the origional estimate seemed fair as well as that you EXPECTED to pay more. As for having them take it back for another $300 I'd be interested on how that goes. It sounds to me like you have much more than $300 dollars worth or work left to do.

Good luck

I just reread your post. You probably got billed for the work you got and if you want the other stuff fixed it will most likely cost more than $300. Not knowing the perticulars I can't say. I know I try and review every spot of work the customer expects to be fixed and document them so there is no misunderstanding. I won't do the "just fix everything" thing anymore it's too open ended and frankly most people don't realize just how much time and work it is to do it right. Time is money and it doesn't take long for all those $90 per hour chips to add up.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:45 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

The $300 doesn't cover the work that still needs to be done, in my mind the $500 total covers the extra work they already did. I'm just offering the $300 extra i expected to pay to get them to complete the work I thought I was getting based on the original quote.
Seems like I got a fair price, maybe they didn't realize how many little spots needed to be fixed. (but they spent some time at my place looking over the boat before they quoted it!!)
and thanks again for the opinions......I was told this guy does good work but never got comparison quotes.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Just spoke to the owner...apparently he feels they've done everything they've been paid for. Any addlitional work is at addl cost. I can't really complain, although the bottom isn't perfect I think I did get what I paid for. He asked me to call him next week when I decide what I want to do. Not sure if I'm happy yet or not.
BTW: $65/ hr and he claims he had more hours in it than I paid for.

Quick Reply: 31 ft single step bottom job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.