Notices

PPG omni paint

Old 04-09-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPG omni paint

I have been out of the body bussiness about five years.Planning on painting my boat in a few weeks,but not sure any more what to use for materials.I use to use PPG Global with DAU clear over a DP40 sealer.A friend of mine said to try omni,its cheaper and he thinks would be ok.I think its cheaper and better to use what ever is the best and only do it one time.So what do you guys use for paint?
Thanks Paul
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Re: PPG omni paint

actually the Omni line is pretty decent stuff for the money. if your looking to save a buck i would use the MBC base coat with MC161 clear. sprays just like DBC with DCU clear but wont flow as well and might not be quite as durable. i have used it on mid range jobs and had great results. buffs out real well and seemed to hold up good to. if you want to step up the durability and still save a buck or two use the Omni MBC base coat with DCU 2021 clear.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i probably havent used as many different paints as you guys but i found that omni to be junk paint it only stays nice for a season or so then it fades, i have even had the clear flake off on me......just my thoughts....................
Old 04-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered

I spray ppg alot I use DBU and 2021 is my favorite clear...I was told that Omni uses the same toners as the dbu line...but not the same binder..It sprays nice....not as durable in my opinion.....and I have heard complaints on Omni base not covering so well...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered

I agree with Dave. I like the price of Omni, but use DT reducers for multi-color overlays (less tape tracking) but I won't use anything but the DCU 2021 clear for performance and durability. I have used DBC over the Omni for a base when matching an existing DBC color.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:57 PM

So you can use the good 2021 clear over the omni color?What do you use for sealers? My boat is red and fades quickly, I was planning on sanding gel and wet on wet with sealer,color,clear.I sould only have to spot prime a few spots.
Paul
Old 04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered

Are you changing from red hullsides? I would sand with #220 then seal with PPG K36S (non-sanding and would tint for even base)when hazes, base it. let dry several hours before striping or clearing. If striping, flash a coat of DBC 500 [reduced 200%] after initial base is put down.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 PM

Yes, painting over red hull.Your method is pretty much my plan,I will be painting red again,I'm just sick of buffing every 3 weeks to keep a shine on it.Thank you all for all info!
Paul
Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yes you can use the better clear over the Omni base. just to give you an idea of the savings you will see useing Omni MBC over PPG's DBC the PPG base in red will be about $250.00-$300.00. the same color in MBC will be about $75.00-$100.00. i have had pretty good luck with it so far and most problems with clear flaking or fading can usually be traced to improper application. i used it on my Scorpion and it still looks great after two years.

cap heres a quick run down on a typical paint process for boats

strip all hardware
mask off interior and sides
do all repairs (stress cracks, chips,etc . . .)
spot prime all repairs with PPG's K-36 or equivelant
after primer drys sand entire deck with 320 on a D.A and block repair areas
wash deck with grey scotchbright pad and water, pull off all masking paper and tape than wash the entire boat
let sit overnight in warm shop
re-mask off stuff you dont want paint on
wipe down with PPG's DX-330 wax and grease remover

this gets the surface ready for sealer. i usually use a PPG DP epoxy sealer. what ever color is appropriate

i usually let the sealer flash overnight and than lightly hit it with 600 grit wet but use the DX-330 instead of water. i use a spray bottle and like i said very lightly with the sandpaper. i do this to pull out any dust that may have set in the sealer.

wipe that down and you should be ready for paint
use Omni MBC basecoat for your color
DCU-2021 for clear.
wetsand with 1200 than 3000 trizak and buff to a shine
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-10-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the run down Dave. We would alway preach to the young guys learning that the most important part of painting is in the prep.They usually didn't beleave it,but they found out.Thanks again Paul

Quick Reply: PPG omni paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.