painting over gelcoat

Notices

painting over gelcoat

Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 PM
sandman
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting over gelcoat

I have a 1993 Nordic 32' OS that came from the factory as a parasail rig. Even though it was never used for the intended purpose, it has the funky "sea rocket" motiff. The gelcoat is like new as this boat was well taken care of by its last owner.

My question is, how do you go about painting over such a nice finish? What kind of paint is used? What kind of prep work is involved? Thanks for any suggestions that might point me in the right direction....Casey

Last edited by sandcraft; 02-01-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Re: painting over gelcoat

heres a quick run down on a typical paint process for boats

i usually do the boat in two independent stages if graphics don't conflict. i do the hull sides first than the deck.
strip all hardware
mask off interior
do all repairs (stress cracks, chips,etc . . .)
spot prime all repairs with PPG's K-36 or equivalent
after primer drys sand entire hull/deck with 320 on a D.A and block sand repair areas
wash hull/deck with grey scotch bright pad and water, pull off all masking paper and tape than wash the entire boat
let sit overnight in warm shop
re-mask off stuff you don't want paint on
wipe down with PPG's DX-330 wax and grease remover

this gets the surface ready for sealer. i usually use a PPG DP epoxy sealer (thin it about 20 or 30% with DT recucer). what ever color is appropriate

i usually let the sealer flash overnight and than lightly hit it with 600 grit wet but use the DX-330 instead of water. i use a spray bottle and like i said very lightly with the sandpaper. i do this to pull out any dust that may have set in the sealer.

wipe that down and you should be ready for paint
use PPG's DBC basecoat for your color and
DCU-2021 for clear.
drysand with 1200 on a DA than wet with 3000 trizak and buff to a shine

now my secret recipe is out an i will no longer have a job

trick is to keep the whole thing simple and try not to back track. if you get a tool out to fix a chip or something, fix all the chips at the same time than prime them all in at the same time. also on very nice boats that are only getting a color change i have droped the DP sealer and used an adheason promotor and had very good results. but you will have to spot seal for good coverage of the finish color. if you have any questions you can also call me at 419-461-1484, always avaliable to lend advise. nice boat by the way. a friend of mine has an older 30 Sleekcraft which is a direct decendant of your boat. thing runs like a scalded dog good luck
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-17-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
sandman
Gold Member

Thanks glassdave, please tell me you actually live only an hour away from me. I know when to hand over some jobs to the pros.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Registered

Dave, procedure sounds similiar except for the DP sealer. I have used tinted K36S for a sealer and let flash 15 min. before base. Other than that it is the same. Do you have a reason (other than the ability to nib sand) that the DP is superior?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone ever tried the the DBC 3000 or DCU 2021 clearcoat straight on the gelcoat. Sand and buff the gelcoat to perfection, prepit as needed, then clearcoat it for protection. Can this be done? Will it work? I read somewhere that someone got 10 years before it needed redo. Given that wax/teflon/etc will give you one season at best, usually half a season, clearcoating may be the answer. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Pismo10; 06-30-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

pismo, you need sanding scratches for physical adhesion
Old 07-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Registered

Really dumb question, but whats the diff betweek awlgrip and emron paint ?

CM
Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered

As ratman said, you can clear over straight gel, but would need a physical adhesion from sanding with #600 DA or #800 W/D hand for adhesion besides the chemical bond with the gel.
As far as AwlGrip and Imron, they are both a polyureathane, but AwlGrip is a "real" one. ( like acrilic is to latex). I personally don't like the new Imron vs the one that used 192S. There are other differences (cost, prep, durability, ease of working/spraying, etc...)
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, of course I see now.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Registered

For the clear which is better, ureathane or polyureathane. My ppg guy says to use the Concept 2002 (poly) instead of 2021 but it looks like the 2021 is the clear winner on OSO.

Was digging through the shelf in the garage and have some Imron that is probably 15 years old in unopened cans and 192S also.

Quick Reply: painting over gelcoat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.