Wet sanding Allgrip >

Wet sanding Allgrip

Notices

Wet sanding Allgrip

Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wet sanding Allgrip

vandeno it dosent sound like you know what you are really talking about .I have been painting polyurethane paints on aircraft for 20+ years.Your comment alone about painting being the easy part says it all.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by vandeano
YOU CAN NOT COLOR SAND AWLGRIP PROFESSIONAL

You must be using something different .......The other Awlgrip states in very HUGE LETTERS THIS PAINT CANNOT BE POLISHED OR BUFFED!

I've kept out of this day this was first posted but was waiting for someone to say it.
Go to US Paint's web site ...... Awlgrip (reg) 'Non repariable system' Do not buff ,compound or even wax !

If you're trying to correct a less than great paint job by sanding and buffing , and its reg Awlgrip , I'd guess that it's going to look like a big bleary blob when completed. I have seen attempts at blowing in reg Awlgrip and in every case the area around the blow in turns milky brownish after a few months.
It would probably be more cost effective to just sand the boat and re-shoot !
Old 06-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

What you guys dont get is the clear comes to the top & you can sand a bunch of it .I recently sanded off a logo on a plane & buffed it .So unless you have done it you shouldnt comment.Done with this thread do what you want.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

This is my first boat and the paint job is not that bad I just thought I could make it look better because it didn't look like some of the boats Iv seen on OSO I guess you big money for that.

Thanks Todd
Attached Thumbnails Wet sanding Allgrip-dsc02396.jpg   Wet sanding Allgrip-dsc02403.jpg   Wet sanding Allgrip-dsc02441.jpg  

Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drgnrydr
vandeno it dosent sound like you know what you are really talking about .I have been painting polyurethane paints on aircraft for 20+ years.Your comment alone about painting being the easy part says it all.

Half the time I don't know what Im talking about, so Im not here to get in a pissing contest with you . All Im saying is don't tell someone to do something that will get him in trouble. Im not a professional painter by far. When I said the painting part is easy, is because it is when you compare it to wet sanding. Any runs, orange peel or whatever imperfections can be fixed with color sanding. (that is of course with the right paint).

Now comes the difficult part, color sanding! You don't get a second chance here. So many things can happen here if you are not paying attention, could be just as simple as a little grain of dirt to not enough water. Not to mention when it comes to corners, edges, curves. Then if your able to get away with not doing any damages there, you still have to machine polish, and if your not careful there..........well do I need to say more.

So to me, painting is the easy part. I never painted anything that I could'nt fix by color sanding. Screw up color sanding and back to square one again.

As for the Awlgrip, I didn't design the paint. So don't shoot the messenger. Im just telling this guy don't do it from what I have read. If Im not sure about something I would never give advise to someone on this board and less I had the facts. I was just trying to stress to this guy DON'T DO IT unless you know what paint it is. Do a test spot. You were telling him go right ahead, I do it all the time. Just because you do it all the time does'nt mean it is right. Whenever in doubt just read application instructions. All the information is available to you on the Internet.
So I hope there is no hard feelings. This is about the only please I can come to relax and I would hate to have any friction with any members. So we cool?

Last edited by vandeano; 06-27-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your paint looks good , awlcraft can be sanded and buffed, Awl grip NOOOOOOO!!!!!! You will remove the hardness and shine. As mentioned earlier Awlgrip needs no buffing wax etc.. The shine will last for a long time unless you sand it or buff it.

Tough stuff to paint with. I've rolled and tipped my 42' Sportfisherman came out nice, but the guys that paint the Merritts and Rybovichs are top knotch. Mirror finish by paint brush!!

Check out the gloss on my Midnight that was sprayed with a custom Awlgrip color I mixed up. (I did not spray it, Jim's Marine in Ocean City MD did it.) More picts search under "picts of my just painted Midnight"
Attached Thumbnails Wet sanding Allgrip-new-arch-midnight-2-large-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by vandeano
Man that is totally crazy.....wet sand by hand then machine polish. Your playing with fire if you wet sand with a machine. This one of the most important parts of painting. Painting is the easy part. Color sanding is what separates a professional look from a Maco look. TRUST ME ON THIS, COLOR SAND WITH A BLOCK BY HAND. It is not that hard.

i was the same way for years. i gotta tell ya though these days i do ALL my color sanding by machine, most of the time dry as well. on just about everything i do i use 3M's 1200 dry to break the surface than go over the whole thing with 3000 Trizak wet and than just a light wheeling. done properly you will NEVER have any sandscraches and yields an unbelievable gloss. the trick is using the intermediate pad or the 1200 will clog up instantly. only real down side is the cost but the time savings is huge. i have personally (by myself that is ) color sanded the entire hull of a 38 top gun AND buffed it in a single day. to be perfectly honest when these machine sanding systems first came out i didnt care for them but after i figured them out i will never go back. color sanding now only takes a fraction of the time and gives me much more consistent results.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-28-2006, 05:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Not to hijack, but if there are deep scratches in Awlgrip, do they have to be repainted. Can you spot paint or touch up those areas, will the paint blend or will you see the areas that were touched up ?
PS It's black
Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Not to hijack, but if there are deep scratches in Awlgrip, do they have to be repainted. Can you spot paint or touch up those areas, will the paint blend or will you see the areas that were touched up ?
PS It's black
Thanks

IF you're talking about Awlgrip Professional ....
I have seen cases where attempts were made to spot touch up or blow in . In the shop while still fresh they 'seemed' quite good. Unfortunately a lot of effort has to be put into buffing/compounding the new edge into the original finish. Without exception, after a few months in the sun and the water the worked area blushes a brownish / tan colour and the repaired area is surrounded with an unsigtly ring.
As far as I can tell Awlgrip Professional is not considered a 'repairable finish'
Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
IF you're talking about Awlgrip Professional ....
I have seen cases where attempts were made to spot touch up or blow in . In the shop while still fresh they 'seemed' quite good. Unfortunately a lot of effort has to be put into buffing/compounding the new edge into the original finish. Without exception, after a few months in the sun and the water the worked area blushes a brownish / tan colour and the repaired area is surrounded with an unsigtly ring.
As far as I can tell Awlgrip Professional is not considered a 'repairable finish'
For awhile there I thought I was the only one that was thinking that

Quick Reply: Wet sanding Allgrip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.