Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Boat Wax, 1 coat per year??? >

Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???

Notices

Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???

Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???

Originally Posted by pm203
Can you apply it to a fully painted/ cleared boat, or has it been formulated for fiberglass/gel coat?
pm230, You can apply it to a painted/clear coated boats with excellent results. I kinda stumbled on to this one. The owner of one of the local marinas asked me about detailing one of his boats for him and as usual I said yes (keep in mind I haven't seen the boat yet). I get to one of the ancient docks that are still floating and there it sits. It is one of the Old school Chris-Crafts back from the early 60's that has been pulled and painted blue and white. To say the least, the boat turned out perfect and is still slick and still has its luster 4 months later. So you know where I'm coming from and what my obsession is...I feel boats! Sounds kinda ******* but when I'm on a dock, at a boat store, marina or even at the gas station I walk up and feel the boat. I always go back month after month, walk the docks and feel all of my work. Thanks, Donnie
Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by marineclean
Craig, I had to go do some research before getting back to your reply. No, Boatshield and I definitely have different formulas. I have read feedback on them and most of it seems to be positive. I have not tried any of their products so I have no idea personally how they work but I do have a day to day, "hands on", experience of what mine does. Thanks....Donnie
Thanks for the reply. I've been using the OSO BoatShield (made by Dillon Chem/Swipes) for three years now and apply once every spring. It lasts all year and really adds "depth" to the paint!!. Let me know when you get your bottling issues solved and I'd be more than happy to buy a bottle, apply it and post the results on here as a testimonial for you. Keep in mind that if the results are less than satisfactory.....i'll post that as well.

I remember when Frenzy came out, there were alot of people who were saying that it was the best wax ever. Well, it didn't live up to the expectations that were promised as far as I'm concerned. It was easy to apply and remove and looked great, but just didn't last more than 3-4 weeks. Maybe it was the boat, but I still have a half bottle on the shelf in my garage.

Here are a few pics of the shine on my last two boats. Both of them are 1988 models with paint/clear that is 6-7 years old.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???-decal3.jpg   Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???-tgcambridge4small.jpeg  
Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good to me!!!! I would buy a bottle. If you want to sell one e-mail me here with details and I will send my address.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had really good luck with Maguires Flagship wax. In the beginning of the summer I lightly compound with finess-it, the follow up with Maguires. The only problem I have is after a month or so I begin to see grey water stains on the deck since the boat is left outside all summer. I can reapply the Maguires and it removes most of the water stains.

If I could find a product that shines as well as the flagship but lasts the whole summer I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Registered

Guys, I am still working on my logo & bottling. Dail, Jeff, Frank, Eric & Monte thanks for the request, I look foward to your results. Have a great weekend! Thanks, Donnie
Attached Thumbnails Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???-flash.jpg   Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???-davebillycigskater.jpg   Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???-davesig.jpg  

Last edited by marineclean; 01-09-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: take out website and number
Old 09-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Registered

I need to update and answer some questions I have received. Yes, this is a waterless cleaner, wax & protectant. Besides rinsing it off with a water hose or wiping it down with a damp terry cloth towel you Do Not need to use an in between wax or any type of special wash formula to keep the shine or slick feeling that your boat will have. Once it's applied, it's applied. Yes, it is very easy & simple to maintain and depending on your conditions, that I described in #1, you only need to wax once per year or six months. Yes, you can apply it in the sun but with any wax it is best applied in a shaded area or on a cloudy day. In RE to Water spots, water lines, spider crap or dirt. I have many weekly customers that use their boats on the weekends and then pull them in a slip or put them on a lift for the week when they're done. I do my weekly customers on Thursdays & Fridays after their boats sit all week covered in water spots, spider crap, etc... and all we have to do is wipe them off with a damp towel. Some spider crap I have to wipe just a bit harder but it comes right off and still leaves my slick high luster shine. FYI, I wax my weekly customers in March for the year. So that being said, March through September just using a damp rag and it still feels slick and shines perfect. If you have to deal with oxidation, I use 3M Finess-it. NO, I do everything by hand, this is the way I train my crews and this is the way I get my results. So, no hand held buffers or high speed buffers needed. Thanks again, I do appreciate all of the interest and questions. Contact me anytime! Donnie Fulmer

Last edited by marineclean; 01-09-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Registered

Only yellow carnauba turns the surface yellow. That's why we use Ivory in our wax (expensive, but well worth it).

As for our wax lasting only 2 or 3 weeks. Carnauba is not naturally attracted to paint (or gel). That is where the beading comes from. Once the Carnauba dissipates (or pulls away from the surface) the polymers in Frenzy take over. That's where the lasting protection comes in. We have a lot of comments regarding this as people associate beading with longevity. Bottom line is you want the water to sheet off, not bead and dry. That's what ours is designed to do.

Just wanted to clarify.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seem to work very well,... I will use it

Jeff Bratton
Jeffs auto Body
Paducah KY.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I got mine last week and I'm away on vacation right now. I'll try it when I get back!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

Donnie..just curious, it your product a wax or a sealant of some kind?

Good luck with your new venture.

Quick Reply: Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.