Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/141577-question-repairing-crack-michelob-lights-deck-resto-pics.html)

ratman 09-28-2006 10:20 AM

question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics

3 Attachment(s)
the deck popped in the argentina race and has rebroken and been re repaired a few times. i was planning on fitting 3 peices of oak or spruce with the grain running for and aft, that i will expoxy to the underside of the damaged area then repair the exterior with epoxy and fiberglass. it had 2 alum plates they used to fish plate the damaged area from the outside, i plan on using epoxy to reinstall the plates after the exterior fiberglass work is finished. what are your thoughts? keep in mind its cracked thru on the top of the upper lip the side of the raised area and thru the flat area of the deck itself. i plan in running the boat had in big water so want to do the strongest repair possible. thx for your input. rm

ratman 09-28-2006 10:22 AM

Re: question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

ratman 09-28-2006 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
tear from the st pete race spinout :eek:

el indio 09-28-2006 10:30 AM

Battle Scars..........

Panther 09-28-2006 10:40 AM

Looks like you've got a project on your hands!!

Is the Deck/Hull glassed together? If not, it may be good piece of mind to glass it while you're at it! :cool:

ratman 09-28-2006 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Panther
Looks like you've got a project on your hands!!

Is the Deck/Hull glassed together? If not, it may be good piece of mind to glass it while you're at it! :cool:

the only problem area is the cracks pictured at the engine compartment bulkhead and deck. im wondering the best way ot reinforce this area. from the underside as its eveidently i highly stressed area. thx for any suggestions to the metodology of repairs. rm

Panther 09-28-2006 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ratman
the only problem area is the cracks pictured at the engine compartment bulkhead and deck. im wondering the best way ot reinforce this area. from the underside as its eveidently i highly stressed area. thx for any suggestions to the metodology of repairs. rm

I'm sure others will chime in but I'd repair it with Epoxy as well. Couple layers of Biaxial or Triaxial on top, then multiple layers underneath. If you have access underneath I would also see if a stringer can be glassed in place.

As for the side of the boat, it probably cracked when the hul flexed against the bulkhead. Did the bulkhead pull away from the side of the boat on the inside? To keep this from happening again, I've seen glassers make a 45* radius at the corners of the bulkhead so it's not a sharp 90* turn. I wish I had a picture to post to show what I mean cause it's hard to explain.

On the outside I would also grind out the cracked section at least 6-8 inches outside the crack, then fill it in with triaxial and epoxy, then gelcoat overtop.

Again, from my limited experience with fiberglass and boats this is what I would start with. There may be a better way and hopefully an expert will chime in here. :cool:

O.C.Barry 09-28-2006 11:28 AM

I agree with Panther's previous post but as for your idea of putting spruce or oak under the deck, I personally would not do that. You have to think of the physics involved; dissimilar materials flex at diferent rates. Something very rigid like oak is going to tend to split away from the fiberglass on the deck, because the deck flexes by it's design (as opposed to the transom which is basically fixed). I would sandwich Klegecell between layers of bi-axial and tri-axial. Being a foam core, the Klegecell will form well, give strength, and be flexible as well. This worked well on my old Top Gun and my old Coyote raceboat. You can get Klegecell from Fiberglass coating in St. Pete. 1-813-327-8117.

Barry

sakoutis3 09-28-2006 11:57 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :snide: :hothead:

ratman 09-28-2006 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Papache
maybe you can return and get your money back???

i bought what was advertised and ike told me and showed me the damaged area! he didn't try to sell me some junk. how you doing on selling those new 1988 1500 hp motors? or the old style small rotor psi's you tried to stick/sell knot right or lubejobs! your making friend all over the place paulie, look like you wasted your money on the book how to win friends and influence people... you not only need to learn how to read but also how to comprehend. if these words are beyond your limited vocabulay try a dicktionary. you are cordially invited to kiss my azz you pos, tell me how to make two male shafts fit together you homo, you think for a minute the people here cant tell your a loser. pleeeeeze mister 124mph apache ha ha, mister 1500 hp on pump gas, haha your so full of crap you eyes are brown. i guess only god can make more hp on pump gas than you! your a real lengend now pal you big winner you...not! did you ever work at tmp.lol btw if you dont have any to add to this thread regarding the repairs...kindly piss off. thx for your anticipated cooperation, rm

ratman 09-28-2006 12:34 PM

I'm sure others will chime in but I'd repair it with Epoxy as well. Couple layers of Biaxial or Triaxial on top, then multiple layers underneath. If you have access underneath I would also see if a stringer can be glassed in place.

As for the side of the boat, it probably cracked when the hul flexed against the bulkhead. Did the bulkhead pull away from the side of the boat on the inside? To keep this from happening again, I've seen glassers make a 45* radius at the corners of the bulkhead so it's not a sharp 90* turn. I wish I had a picture to post to show what I mean cause it's hard to explain.

On the outside I would also grind out the cracked section at least 6-8 inches outside the crack, then fill it in with triaxial and epoxy, then gelcoat overtop.

Again, from my limited experience with fiberglass and boats this is what I would start with. There may be a better way and hopefully an expert will chime in here. :cool:

the crack in the side was repaired and has hled up ever since its the deck im concerned with now, i will p/u some triaxial cloth and start repairs this weekend. thx

ratman 09-28-2006 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
I agree with Panther's previous post but as for your idea of putting spruce or oak under the deck, I personally would not do that. You have to think of the physics involved; dissimilar materials flex at diferent rates. Something very rigid like oak is going to tend to split away from the fiberglass on the deck, because the deck flexes by it's design (as opposed to the transom which is basically fixed). I would sandwich Klegecell between layers of bi-axial and tri-axial. Being a foam core, the Klegecell will form well, give strength, and be flexible as well. This worked well on my old Top Gun and my old Coyote raceboat. You can get Klegecell from Fiberglass coating in St. Pete. 1-813-327-8117.

Barry

thx barry i'll give them a call

Audiofn 09-28-2006 12:39 PM

Make sure you grind the craks back from the outside and do the repair from the outside then do reinforcing on the inside. Epoxy is great but remember it could screw you if you plan to use polyester paint/gel on top.

Jon

stecz20 09-28-2006 12:47 PM

just sink that barge, it will be better for all of us... :evilb: :evilb:

ratman 09-28-2006 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Make sure you grind the craks back from the outside and do the repair from the outside then do reinforcing on the inside. Epoxy is great but remember it could screw you if you plan to use polyester paint/gel on top.

Jon

i plan on using ppg k36 primer, and awlgrip snow white for the paint.

ratman 09-28-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by stecz20

with talk like that i will find you in a week! you 609'er you... :evilb: :evilb: :drink:

O.C.Barry 09-28-2006 01:12 PM

thx barry i'll give them a call

I'll actually be at my place on Anna Maria Island for the second two weeks of November. So if you are in Tampa I may be able to eyeball the boat and give you some first hand solutions.

Panther 09-28-2006 01:15 PM

with talk like that i will find you in a week! you 609'er you... :evilb: :evilb: :drink:

He's just a Piney! He runs he boat down in Bricktuckey! :D

O.C.Barry 09-28-2006 01:16 PM

i plan on using ppg k36 primer, and awlgrip snow white for the paint.

I too like the K36 primer - good choice!

wrinkleface 09-28-2006 01:29 PM

Rat, a roll of duct tape, couple tubes of super glue and your back in bus!!!!! Good luck w/ your project! Wrink

ratman 09-28-2006 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Rat, a roll of duct tape, couple tubes of super glue and your back in bus!!!!! Good luck w/ your project! Wrink

jc, is that you? :evilb:

ratman 09-28-2006 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry

Barry

barry what is the purpose of using the klegecell instead of just tri or biaxial cloth and epoxy? btw st pete is a 727 area code, talked to wood down there at spfc nice guy. i just email him some pics of the damage. thx, again. rm

Panther 09-28-2006 01:50 PM

barry what is the purpose of using the klegecell instead of just tri or biaxial cloth and epoxy? btw st pete is a 727 area code, talked to wood down there at spfc nice guy. i just email him some pics of the damage. thx, again. rm

You still need to use the cloth, the klegecell would be glassed over top. It gives the area much greater density and kind of acts like a stringer. :cool:

http://www.noahsmarine.com/Canada/Co...group-can.html

ApacheCarl 09-28-2006 01:58 PM

Cool project !!!!! thx for the pictures. That is one of my all-time favorite boats. Saw that boat race in Saugatuck when I was 16. Really nice to see somebody fixing it up. Good Luck, I'm sure its going to be really nice when its done :)

sakoutis3 09-28-2006 02:02 PM

I fully agree sink it. :drink: :drink:

Ike 09-28-2006 02:04 PM

What a ass!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ratman 09-28-2006 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ike
What a ass!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hows it going ike, its aholes and elbows working on the new ride for me and my 2 helpers. hope to have it ready for paint sometime next week. i talked to a sharp guy at st petesrburg fiberglass coatings, he's got the good stuff the glue her back together. ike im lookimng for some ics of the boat lookiong down on it so i can see what areas get painted red, can you make me a copy of the videos you have of her running? thx, rm

stecz20 09-28-2006 03:31 PM

He's just a Piney! He runs he boat down in Bricktuckey! :D

only reason i dont have you killed for that slander is your sister... mahser likes to keep her around.. you know, we sell her to the locals for cases of beer, then break her out for the trip home...... :evilb: :evilb:

Panther 09-28-2006 05:04 PM

only reason i dont have you killed for that slander is your sister... mahser likes to keep her around.. you know, we sell her to the locals for cases of beer, then break her out for the trip home...... :evilb: :evilb:

:D :D

You going to Strong Island to play with the motor boats this weekend? I can't make it but I'll be sippin Rum Runners by the pool in Marathon starting tomorrow! :drink:

stecz20 09-28-2006 05:08 PM

no i have to be with the family.... :evilb: :evilb: lake george is my last event this year with the boys....

ratman 09-28-2006 05:17 PM

no i have to be with the family.... :evilb: :evilb: lake george is my last event this year with the boys....

stecz did you get written permission from the wife for the lake george run :evilb:

bouyhunter 09-28-2006 05:42 PM

Rat - it doesn't look that bad to me, and I know you have a very short timeframe in mind.
The hull cracks look (at least from the pics..) like they were repaired pretty well, looks like they only showed up after sanding the hull for paint.
The damage you're worried about... Oak, or Spruce?????
Come'on man, are you building Noah's ark out of that thing??
Wood is goning to split in that boat (the way you run :D :drink:) long before you have to worry about rot.
Don't cheap out/hurry/F-yourself because you want it done as quickly as you do. This ain't "Monster Garage".
And also - are you gonna replace those door hinges for the hatches with something that is intended for a resin bucket of this pedigree?
Sweet ride, and these are the rough stages - hope to meet up with ya in Destin, but that's still up in the air for me.

stecz20 09-28-2006 06:27 PM

stecz did you get written permission from the wife for the lake george run :evilb:

i wear the big draws in this house pal.... :evilb: :evilb:

ratman 09-28-2006 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Rat - it doesn't look that bad to me, and I know you have a very short timeframe in mind.
The hull cracks look (at least from the pics..) like they were repaired pretty well, looks like they only showed up after sanding the hull for paint.
The damage you're worried about... Oak, or Spruce?????
Come'on man, are you building Noah's ark out of that thing??
Wood is goning to split in that boat (the way you run :D :drink:) long before you have to worry about rot.
Don't cheap out/hurry/F-yourself because you want it done as quickly as you do. This ain't "Monster Garage".
And also - are you gonna replace those door hinges for the hatches with something that is intended for a resin bucket of this pedigree?
Sweet ride, and these are the rough stages - hope to meet up with ya in Destin, but that's still up in the air for me.

tim it was cracked clear thru on all the damage you see, its bee repaired several time before, i taked to st pete fiberglass coatings, he recomended bonding either alum plate or some hard work the was soaked with penatrating epoxy, then bonded in place then glassed together on the inside and out with triaxial weave and epoxy, the boat will repeated crap there i want to spread the stress out over a larger area. anf im gonna plane the wood down to 3/8 to 1/2 an inch so it will have some flex in it, the repair will be 4 layer thick on the outside and 24" long overall. it will take as long as it takes i have 2 helpers working for me removing all the hardware and will have them sanding and prepping the cocpit and engine co partment i doing the exterior priming and blocking, and all the glass work. i'll post pics as i make more and more progress. til its done. im trying to locate someone in the area that shoots a lot of awlgrip cuz i want a slick with no orange peel or any buffing. talk to you soon, rm

nocigarette 09-28-2006 06:55 PM

you tool, every time i see you post you have to say something cocky............i looked at parts you had for sale but after i read posts about the garbage you sell i choose not to..........Dont ruin a good site with your bs..........

PHIL KEEP THE POSTS AND PICS COMING, BAD ARSE BOAT I ONLY WISH I HAD THE MONEY TO RESTORE ONE LIKE THAT...........

lucky strike 09-28-2006 07:05 PM

Rat
You have one of the best old school rides out there, fix it up and enjoy it.

LS

stecz20 09-28-2006 07:30 PM

rat sink it, just strap your ass in the seat.. :evilb: :evilb:

that rig is bad ass, nothing better then bringing back a bad ass boat... we all cant wait to see that thing.. i just hope you take your time and not rush it.. you still suck, and have to get me and masher drinks.. dont think cause you came to one event you're off the rookie status.. you're off when jc says you are... :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

ratman 09-28-2006 07:39 PM

i plan on doing a first class job! i have myself and 2 full time helpers working 6 days a week. im making pretty good progress already. it wont take too much more time to have it ready for paint. a few days to reinstall all the hardware then to sc for the engines.

cuda 09-28-2006 07:56 PM

Phil, I've bought stuff from Fiberglass Coatings in St Pete. Very helpful people there. An old friend of mine owns or owned the body shop right beside them. His name is John Henry. He might shoot the awlgrip for you.

ratman 09-28-2006 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
Phil, I've bought stuff from Fiberglass Coatings in St Pete. Very helpful people there. An old friend of mine owns or owned the body shop right beside them. His name is John Henry. He might shoot the awlgrip for you.

cool, thx