Notices

engine paint

Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine paint

Just built a new pair of motors. What type of primer and paint are they using when the paint the engine blocks ect.with some of these new candy and metalic paints the blocks and accs.are all bare metal at the moment. Thanks JOHN
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use dupont vari-prime,then i use ppg concept single stage,then clear over that.Imron works good too.Single stage i think holds up better than base-clear coat,but i have used it and had no problems.A lot of trick colors can only be had by using base-clear.One of the most important things is make sure block is free of any oil deposits before painting.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

veri prime & imron, held up real good 10 yrs.MDGs right about the oil! its gotta be clean.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by [email protected]
veri prime & imron, held up real good 10 yrs.MDGs right about the oil! its gotta be clean.
If you can wait a week for it to harden solid, POR engine enamel is unbelievable.
I've had great results with it.
Also debur any real sharp edges with a die grinder and carbide burr, because paint will run away from the sharp edge. So I go around all the gasket flanges and just radius them slightly.
Lately I have been using Imron because of the time factor.
Prep work is the key.
I use starting fluid to clean, especially on difficult small parts like brackets and fuel pumps , but even brake cleaner works well.
I have had good results with pre-kleano or lacquer thinner as well.
The problem with gasoline or other cleaning methods is some oil residue will remain, and paint will not stick well.
I swear by Needle scaling hard parts, and priming with duplicolor zinc chromate and then topcoating.
You can also use regular por15 and top coat it with a spray can after 4-6 hours, I've done it all.
I love the way Imron lays out and covers, and the gloss is second to none.
Since being introduced in 1976 I feel it is still the very best.
The very reason it works so good(isocynates) also has a downside and will build up and never leave your kidneys and does irreparable lung damage over time.
Por 15 is also Isocynate based and is the same deal even if you brush it on.
The isocynates seek and are cured by moisture.
They will dry out your nose and get into your body , and a full suit is recommended especially if sprayed indoors.
Remember Bhopal, India. It was Isocynates !
Also, overspray will stick like glue to cars etc. It cures and does not dry like others and can create enourmous stress if you get it on something it doesn't belong on.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Registered

I wanted to add something but BBB covered it so well.

What happened in Bhopal, India?.

imron on these (intake and exhaust manifolds too):
Attached Thumbnails engine paint-engines-aug-2003a.jpg  
Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Registered

Bhopal, India,, a chemical factory leak sent gas into town, thousands of people died. I can't recall all of the facts but it was DEADLY.

Last edited by satisfactionII; 05-05-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 05-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a pre wash from dupont which will clean and chemically prep the metal. you can use an etching primer after that. follow with a catalyzed primer scuff with a red then grey scuff pad. then final coat. acrylic enamel, imron, base clear, will all work. for the really trick colors i have used house of colors to really bring out the effects of some of these brilliant metalics and candy's.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Bhopal India was where union carbide manufactured the Isosycanytes and had one of the largest chemical leak disasters known to mankind. Just to let everyone know that they are very hazardous....BBB
Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do i know you billy?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by monstaaa
do i know you billy?
I worked on Teddy's 38' Scarab, He bought some parts from you. We ended up rigging the boat ourselves. It came out really good. We got it right and had to buy all new headers etc. Rebuild both 572's go for better tranny's and after blowing up trs drives and locking up trannys went for the Konrads.
We probably spent close to 1000 Hours combined on the boat. Including all the research , parts ordering, running it etc. It was labor intensive. Now he's thinking of selling it.
BBB

Quick Reply: engine paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.