White out... need paint help.

Notices

White out... need paint help.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
No sweat man, tech line's open 24-7, operators are standing by

if you are doing a color change about all you have to do is knock it down with 320 and seal it with PPG's JP-371 (white epoxy). Shoot the color in JB-91050 (its a nice clean base white i use) and clear it with JC-661. all these paint products are out of PPG's Shopline which is a mid level budget line but still a really good product.

do you have a pic of the boat?
Dave, do you ever have a problom with the white sealer not being able to see when its coverd? the last boat i did, i had a hard time seeiing when it was coverd. white sealer, white paint.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Sounds good , i'll hit the paint supply in the morn .. any buffing compound easier for me not to burn ???
Thnx again Bro
Chit i know what happened now DUH !!!! i dialed TRICK marine by mistake LMAO
yea i use 3M's Perfect-it 3000 compound (#06062) with a 3M white foam pad (#05723). The sandpaper i use is P1200 finishing film (#00968) you will also need a foam interface pad for your DA.

Trick marine! . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite
Dave, do you ever have a problom with the white sealer not being able to see when its coverd? the last boat i did, i had a hard time seeiing when it was coverd. white sealer, white paint.
not really, white on white usually covers pretty quick. what kind of paint are you using? Usually the basecoats i use cover pretty fast.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=glassdave;2436401]yea i use 3M's Perfect-it 3000 compound (#06062) with a 3M white foam pad (#05723). The sandpaper i use is P1200 finishing film (#00968) you will also need a foam interface pad for your DA.

Hey Big Daddy will add these items to the shopping list ,got to do a lil sanding & re-painting this morn as the boss (princess) decided she does'nt like the patern SHE layed out and penciled on the boat GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
thnx again and we'll see how many burn marks i can put on her Dave in the tight corners & up under the spray rail can do you get a buffer in there or can i just hand rub out ??????
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails White out... need paint help.-skater-001.jpg  
Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

check your phone messages. . . .

Gotta keep the princess happy.

i usually try and spray those areas so they dont need buffing but if they do either get a pad with a round edge or yes you can buff it by hand if you catch it early. After a few days the clear is way to hard to buff by hand.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

check your phone messages. . . .

i usually try and spray those areas so they dont need buffing but if they do either get a pad with a round edge or yes you can buff it by hand if you catch it early. After a few days the clear is way to hard to buff by hand.
Thnx again dave , i'll hand rub the tight spots right away before the clear gets to hard ..... these friggin Nextels SUK BIG time around here .i get cell messeges 2 & 3 days later headed to shop 708-534-8085
rock on Big daddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=glassdave;2436563]

Hey BIG Daddy now thats a job in itself
Yeah burnt the clear Skater said 2 day wait and wett sand & buff .. thnx again and see ya in Ohio
Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a quick run down on a typical paint process for boats

i usually do the boat in two independent stages if graphics don't conflict. i do the hull sides first than the deck.
strip all hardware
mask off interior
do all repairs (stress cracks, chips,etc . . .)
spot prime all repairs with PPG's K-36 or equivalent
after primer drys sand entire hull/deck with 320 on a D.A and block sand repair areas
wash hull/deck with grey scotch bright pad and water, pull off all masking paper and tape than wash the entire boat
let sit overnight in warm shop
re-mask off stuff you don't want paint on
wipe down with PPG's DX-330 wax and grease remover

this gets the surface ready for sealer. i usually use a PPG DP epoxy sealer. what ever color is appropriate it comes in green, black,white, red and gray

i usually let the sealer flash overnight and than lightly hit it with 600 grit wet but use the DX-330 instead of water. i use a spray bottle and like i said very lightly with the sandpaper. i do this to pull out any dust that may have set in the sealer.

wipe that down and you should be ready for paint
use PPG's DBC basecoat for your color and
DCU-2021 for clear.
wetsand with 1200 on a DA than 3000 trizak and buff to a shine

now my secret recipe is out an i will no longer have a job

trick is to keep the whole thing simple and try not to back track. if you get a tool out to fix a chip or something, fix all the chips at the same time than prime them all in at the same time. also on very nice boats that are only getting a color change (and are all white gel) i have dropped the DP sealer and used an adheason promotor and had very good results. but you will have to spot seal repairs for good coverage of the finish color. if you have any questions you can also call me at 419-461-1484, always avaliable to lend advise. (right or wrong )

to save a few $$$ you can use PPG's Omni basecoat with their Omni Clear. Actually good stuff for the money. This is a very basic discription but will get ya going.
Dave,, this is good stuff - thanks for the informative post.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

funny thing is i have posted that several times and every so often the question gets asked again so i hafta go dig it out of an old thread and i can never seem to find it to easily . Its basically a "readers digest" version of what it takes and most do-it-youselfers can relate to the info and adjust it to their project. I really do like helping out when i can. I'm trying to make the world a prettier place one boat at a time
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

I really do like helping out when i can. I'm trying to make the world a prettier place one boat at a time
mmmmmm well get your azz down here then , we got sum BOOBS,BEER,BUFFER,SAND PAPER & COMPOUND !!!! hey not necesarily in this order though ..... LMAO

Quick Reply: White out... need paint help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.