Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
need a class on restoring gelcoat! >

need a class on restoring gelcoat!

Notices

need a class on restoring gelcoat!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need a class on restoring gelcoat!

Glassdave or anyone else, care to put together something for us to show how to bring back the color in gelcoat?

My boat spent the last year outside with only a cockpit cover because the mooring cover was in horrible shape.. now my yellow boat is white on the curves and edges and really chalky..

The cockpit is not quite as bad but its still pretty severe. I want to learn what I can do to get the color back on the dash first and then ill move out to the deck... the hullsides are "ok" but could use some wax..

Also, i paid a kid who cleans our fleet to wash the boat last year before one of the poker runs.. he sprayed some cleaner on the black gelcoated graphics on the side (on a 100* day) and then commenced finishing his text message conversation with his buddy.. now i have these bleached out spots on the black gelcoat and drips from where the cleaner ran down.. whats the cure for this, is it ruined?

thanks for any help! I gotta start buying my equipment to get goin this weekend so any suggestions on what type of sanders/polishers i need..

cale
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wet sand
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
wet sand
thanks.. that was incredibly informative..

I dont know what the process is, thats why i was askin for someone to explain how to do it all.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Registered

This might help.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=161709
Old 02-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

on your websites FAQ, it says that one 24 ounce bottle will do a 36ft boat twice.. but i cant find a 24 oz size, am i missing it somewhere?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by waterboy222

I dont know what the process is, thats why i was askin for someone to explain how to do it all.
Easy tiger , so you dont want to wett sand ??? We can get them chicks and have a topless sand & buff party and if there real good
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Easy tiger , so you dont want to wett sand ??? We can get them chicks and have a topless sand & buff party and if there real good
i was just givin him a hard time.... wish i could get some girls here to start on this project, anyone besides me!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Well if I was an expert I would've 'splained it all.

If an oxidation remover/process doesn't help, 600-800 wet sand is next on the list. Test some spots with the remover (follow instructions on the bottle ). If it doesn't work, break out the water buckets and sanding paper.

I paid a guy to wet sand the previous name off the boat; must've been a PITA.
Attached Thumbnails need a class on restoring gelcoat!-000_0311.jpg   need a class on restoring gelcoat!-000_0444.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

Maybe Dave will chime in on this, but I think that 600 or 800 is way too coarse for what you want to do. I'm using 1200 and 1500 on a Baja that I'm working on that is dark blue, but so faded and oxidized that it is almost white on the topsides. It takes a lot of effort but works well without leaving tons of scratches that don't want to buff out.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Well if I was an expert I would've 'splained it all.

If an oxidation remover/process doesn't help, 600-800 wet sand is next on the list. Test some spots with the remover (follow instructions on the bottle ). If it doesn't work, break out the water buckets and sanding paper.

I paid a guy to wet sand the previous name off the boat; must've been a PITA.
Hey BIG Daddy i'm still likin the TOPLESS sand/buff party .. Waterboy round up the posse/puzzy and i'll track down Dave and gets his exxxpertice

Quick Reply: need a class on restoring gelcoat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.