Awlgrip for bottom

Notices

Awlgrip for bottom

Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awlgrip for bottom

Hi,

Can anyone give me some insight to painting the bottom of an older boat with Awlgrip..Will this hurt performance and what, if any other product would be better than Awlgrip for the bottom..If it is painted with Awlgrip, how can one bring out the shine after painting?

Thanks,
joe
Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

AWLGRIP Rocks, harder than nails once it cures too.
My dad has sprayed it for 20 years. Better than Imron
Won't stain and blister either,.........Imron can blister if in the water to long, but will usaually return to it's normal state.

When I say to long,.........several weeks.

Good Luck
Jon

Originally Posted by joefitness123
Hi,

Can anyone give me some insight to painting the bottom of an older boat with Awlgrip..Will this hurt performance and what, if any other product would be better than Awlgrip for the bottom..If it is painted with Awlgrip, how can one bring out the shine after painting?

Thanks,
joe
Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I doubt it will affect performance at all if done properly. Most ultra high end boats these days are painted epoxy anyway. Nothings better then Awlgrip for the hull bottom if gel is not an option.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

Talking

Cougarman and GlassDave,

Thank you very much for your responses, I appreciate it...AWLGRIP it is...As soon as done will post some pics of the final product..

Thanks once again,
Joe
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Awlgrip is sprayed or rolled correctly does not have to be buffed out or waxed. It made to keep it's shine and luster without any extra work.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Registered

I dont mean to steel your thread but this does have to do with painting the bottom of a boat.
My problem is after a few hours of my boat being in the water for the day and then putting it back on the trailer the bottom has a slight yellow to it. I have been using Mary Kate On-Off and works great. Will painting the bottom with Awlgrip cure this? Thanks
Erik
Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by crapr6
I dont mean to steel your thread but this does have to do with painting the bottom of a boat.
My problem is after a few hours of my boat being in the water for the day and then putting it back on the trailer the bottom has a slight yellow to it. I have been using Mary Kate On-Off and works great. Will painting the bottom with Awlgrip cure this? Thanks
Erik

Crapr6,

No problem at all...This is to try and help us all out...Some of the guys on this site know there stuff and are very available to answer the questions that one might have..

Good luck,
Joe
Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Registered

Anyone,

What would be the best Brushes and Rollers for the awlgrip...Can I purchase some Home depot Products or should I go to a paint store Instead..

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone,

What would be the best Brushes and Rollers for the awlgrip...Can I purchase some Home depot Products or should I go to a paint store Instead..

Thanks,
Joe

The only brush to use for AWLGRIP is a Badger Hair Brush.
They are exspensive and your AWLGRIP rep will know what your asking for.

If you take care of the brush it will last you for years.
Usaually a FOAM Roller, but see if that has since changed.

P.S. With a badger hair brush you can get the same finish as spraying. One of my father's fellow AWLGRIP consumer's paints entire classic cars with AWLGRIP, and a badger Hair brush, out of a Dixie cup. They are beautiful and the product goes a long ways.

Jon
Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 175 Posts

Anyone,

Thanks,
Joe
You MUST use badger hair brushes or fine china hair.

This is who I used for brushes and paint for the my bilge http://www.gcmdistributor.com/ You also need a solvant proof roller or it will dissolve the roller. 1st sand gelcoat, then apply primer, then 2 coats of primer - sand in between coats , then apply awlgrip - 2 coats - sand in between coats, You roll it on and then use the brush to brush out any streaks and smooth it over. To get a better shine they recommend a light sanding after the second coat. There is a DVD guide to brushing with awlgrip, which I also found helpful.

When I say sand - they recommend a very light sand. A trick they used was to spray a very light mist of black spray paint to use as a guide. When the spray paint is removed via sanding - that's as far as you need to go. You don't need to sand the entire gelcoat off down to the fiberglass, just the surface.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.