Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
What do you guys think of this paint idea? >

What do you guys think of this paint idea?

Notices

What do you guys think of this paint idea?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking for my 2 main colours i will single stage it with imron or uno then scuff it all and base the graphics not sure what base maybe chromabase then I am thinking using rm 5335 clear
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twistedvelocity
I am thinking for my 2 main colours i will single stage it with imron or uno then scuff it all and base the graphics not sure what base maybe chromabase then I am thinking using rm 5335 clear
You probably know paint better than me, I just do it as a hobby. and stick with what I know. I grew up on PPG Deltron 2 stage for cars, and switched over to Concept for Clear and Single stage once I started playing with boats, But if you are shooting the whole boat I would use a marine single stage as the base if it is going to spend even overnight in the water.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM
NoQuarter

I'm sure you're a very talented guy, and skilled. But I don't 'get' this scheme. To me, a great paint job makes the boat look like its moving, even when standing still. Personally, I like paint that follows the natural lines of the boat and accentuates its characteristic. My favorite paint is stripes that diffuse into a checkered flag at the stern, but thats just my personal taste.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

I don't care for it. I think your boat actually appreciates the older truditional straighter lines. I know what your going through and am facing the same thing right now. I just found some cool paint graphics on a Scarab. Nothing wild just clean and cool.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

post a full size pic of your avitar and I'll whip up a template on monday, something you can print out and mess around with. I would avoid trying to fill in that center area (the dark grey on avitar pic) with a large linear graphic it will really shorten up the boat. Your boat has a very unique windscreen and that may lend itself to some sort of treatment (not sure if that makes any sense). The graphic that you tried is basically a stand alone that does not really flow with the shape of the boat but you can certainly make a tribal work. Just gotta play with it a bit, the templates will help.

one other thing it looks like you painted the rub rail. Is your intention to do this in the final paint job?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-05-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Registered

I want to try to do something more up to date and get rid off all the white on it except for the very bottom
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I like the 5335 but i would use 5300 clearing a whole boat more film build and a little slower so u can get around it plus i would think ur sanding it flat and buffing it so if the 5300 dyes back a little it wont matter.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Registered

I still not 100% sure on the materials another clear has floated into the shop to that has a long drying time. There will be 2 guys clearing it one on each side when the time comes.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Registered

I also would go conservative and maybe go with a solid color and maybe add vinyl graphics. Or maybe just go two tone. You might want to consider the long run. Like most boaters we all go bigger and a funky paint job you like might hurt the resale down the road. Gray/Siver if its not done perfect,, with the right colors and graphics or even solid that color can turn into a complete disaster.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered

We are going to have to meet on the water this summer. Where do you boat? Paint schemes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, go with what you like. Mine is simple, three V's overlaping in three different colours. Some like it some not(like I give a rats a$$). Only thing is don't go to big and fat in the middle or it makes any boat look smaller. But then again, smaller is good when paying for dockage. Mine always shrinks by a couple of feet, but at the bar my boat gets bigger by a couple of feet, wierd?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.