SpectrumColor Gel, thinning, mixing ??? >

SpectrumColor Gel, thinning, mixing ???

Notices

SpectrumColor Gel, thinning, mixing ???

Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SpectrumColor Gel, thinning, mixing ???

I am in the process of fixing the job if "blueprinting" I had done on my boat a couple years ago. I have enlisted the help of a local guy that "knows gelcoat". Results haven't been stellar so far. Using acetone and educated guess for MEKP which isn't recommended in the first place. So to my questions.

Spectrum recommends Styrene Monomer as a thinner, should I source some of that or would I be better off finding some Duratec?

When mixing in the hardener (MEKP) do I go by total volume including thinner or just gel volume?

Same with the surfacing agent. Do I add just enough of that for the gel volume or total volume including thinner? Spectrum includes just enough surfacing agent for the gel alone. Also, do you use surfacing agent with Duratec?

I am sure there will be more questions to follow.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok, I guess it is simple. I finally contacted Composites One to purchase some Duratec. My understanding is that you add Duratec Hi Gloss Additive at a ratio of 1:1 and add the proper amount of MEKP (2%) per the total volume. I am anxious to try this product.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like you have it figured out. If you want to see the work in progress look at the Jaguar forum. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Be glad to share what Ive learned. Glassdave is a very knowledgeable person on here as well.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 3
Ok, I guess it is simple. I finally contacted Composites One to purchase some Duratec. My understanding is that you add Duratec Hi Gloss Additive at a ratio of 1:1 and add the proper amount of MEKP (2%) per the total volume. I am anxious to try this product.
Duratecs the way to go, i generally dont go the full 1:1. I have had good results with less additive like between .75:1 or .5:1.

yes you catylize the entire volume at 2%

Do you have any color differences you have to hide? repairs that will need more color to cover? You may want to shot those first with a raw gel and just the waxing agent then sand those back down. Gel with duratec doesn't hide very well and i usually use it as a final color coat.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Will the Duratec make it thin enough to shoot or will I need to thin more? If so, what do your recommend for thinner?

Will I need to add more waxing additive if I don't use 1:1 Duratec? And yes I have several spots where I have sanded through the gel and will need good coverage. What do you recommend for waxing additive and thinner when I am not using Duratec?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guys I have major disappointment. I was all excited about Duratec Hi Gloss and how well it was going to work for me. When I finally found some in a small enough quantity for me to buy, I was told that the manufacturer doesn't recommend it for below the water line. Any opinions or comments on this? I don't want to be sorry by using it.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok, I spoke with a tech rep from Hawkeye Industries, the company that makes Duratec. He said that I should add a surfacing agent when using it below the water line and not mix at 1:1. Mix approx 25% and add the waxing agent (surface seal or whatever the proper name is).

I read the FAQ on Duratec products and it does not say that it can't be used below the water line but will not warrant it when used below the water line.

Is it ok for me to pre-mix the Duratec and/or surfacing agent with the gel and let it sit for some time while I am using it as long as I don't catalize it until I am ready to use it?

Bill
Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

your still better off with Duratec then anything else, I've never had a problem with it below the waterline. I have used it at 25% and still had good results, it just did not flow out quite as well and required a bit more sanding then usual and at that ratio i use a gelcoat "dump" gun not an automotive type gun. Never used surfacing wax with it though, but when i get down to the leaner ratios i use PVA on the final coat for some insurance.

yes you can pre mix it as long as you dont catylize it, I dont see why that should be a prob.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thank you for your help and input. I think I will go ahead and mix somewhere in the .5:1 area and may add a little surfacing wax. I will definately mix up some and do a test panel before shooting the boat. Probably try it without the wax first and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been buying my gelcoat from Duratec. They are local for me. I sprayed it 2 different ways. 1) I used 25% high gloss additive and 75% gelcoat. Shine was good but still too think. 2) 25% styrene and 75% gelcoat. I dont notice any difference in shine and is very easy to spay out of binks 2001 pressure pot. So thats the way I have been doing it. Sprayed about 8 gallons so far. Went through 2 D.A. sanders till i bought an IR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.