Cleaning the Deck and Non-Skid

Notices

Cleaning the Deck and Non-Skid

Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cleaning the Deck and Non-Skid

I figured I'd start a different thread than just time spent cleaning for this irritating subject. My boat's been in the water for at least five months now for going on it's fourth season. The hull and the bottom are polished and sealed every spring, no problems there.

I did use Woody Wax, which is specifically designed for non-skid and decks in general. It does indeed work, giving a shine and traction, more so than not using it. But I used this after three seasons. The deck now is a bit dull, not really chalky, but it will get there.

For those that have a shiny deck, one that you can walk on for anchoring without falling off , what do you use? I was thinking about polishing the deck with a random orbital polisher, then applying the Woody Wax.

Anyone have success in maintaining their non-skid and decks?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you may want to try a light compound than woody wax, our Formula is pretty slick in front I always tell my son to be careful because I know what it`s like out there
Old 08-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Woody Wax worked very well, the deck did indeed have great traction when wet after applied. But after three years, it was not enough to really make it shine. No way I want a slippery deck.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rub it out with a compound then wash it with soap and water. shouldn't be slippery...
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had good luck this season with Star Brite deck cleaner with PTEF. The PTEF is the version to get as it leaves a layer of teflon on the surface to help the dirt lift of easier next time around. It certainly makes it bright white, and I think it does make a difference in getting the dirt out at the next washings.

I have not tried Woody Wax but am going to try it in the next week to compare if there is a difference.