Notices

Buffers

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Snap on air buffer!! run at high rpm what you need for gel and run forever!! NEED A GOOD COMPRESSOR TO KEEP UP!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to thank everyone who inputted, but also wanted to share this info with all.
I just saw a new light weight, powerful, rotary buffer, designed by Flex on Auto Geek.com
Model P14-2-150 weighs in at 5.5pounds.
They do have a video on the machine. Pricey but probably real nice when you handle it all day on a large boat.
Take a look at the video and post your thoughts!
Thank you Brian
Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Flex last month and cut my buffing time in half. It is the only true double action polisher made and well worth the additional cost.Best price I found was on Ebay. I bought the kit with the bag and pads.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porter Cable makes a really nice unit that I just bought. I buffed out my boat and truck and they have never had a better shine.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

I think some folks are starting to confuse "polishers" with "rotary buffers." Let me explain. A true "rotary buffer" uses pure rotational motion to polish a surface when using various pads and polishes. In the right hands, one of these bad boys can do some awesome work. In the wrong hands, one can get themselves into some deep poo in very short order - especially when working on paint instead of gelcoat.

When it comes to manufacturers of rotary buffers, I have a DeWalt, but it's not for the faint of heart. It weighs a ton, but has held up admirably. If you want a lighter machine, the Makita is a fine choice as is the Metabo. Flex has a new rotary that weighs less than anything else out there and I've heard good things about it.

There is another category called "random orbital polishers" that at least one person has mentioned. These machines are much lighter and use a combination of rotary and random orbital motion to do the work. The rotational force is very limited though and can generally be stopped with just your hand. The random orbital motion keeps going though, even if you stop the rotary motion. In addition to their light weight, the big advantage of these machines is that it's much harder to get in trouble by taking too much off. The disadvantage is that they cannot take much off anyway.

The most popular random orbital machine out here is the Porter-Cable 7424 or the newer 7424XP. I have one of these and it's a great little machine - for what it's designed for. The Flex random orbital is much more powerful than the PC, but not nearly as powerful (or heavy) as most of the true rotary machines. I have one of these on order and it's a great compromise between a true rotary and a PC.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I think some folks are starting to confuse "polishers" with "rotary buffers." Let me explain. A true "rotary buffer" uses pure rotational motion to polish a surface when using various pads and polishes. In the right hands, one of these bad boys can do some awesome work. In the wrong hands, one can get themselves into some deep poo in very short order - especially when working on paint instead of gelcoat.

When it comes to manufacturers of rotary buffers, I have a DeWalt, but it's not for the faint of heart. It weighs a ton, but has held up admirably. If you want a lighter machine, the Makita is a fine choice as is the Metabo. Flex has a new rotary that weighs less than anything else out there and I've heard good things about it.

There is another category called "random orbital polishers" that at least one person has mentioned. These machines are much lighter and use a combination of rotary and random orbital motion to do the work. The rotational force is very limited though and can generally be stopped with just your hand. The random orbital motion keeps going though, even if you stop the rotary motion. In addition to their light weight, the big advantage of these machines is that it's much harder to get in trouble by taking too much off. The disadvantage is that they cannot take much off anyway.

The most popular random orbital machine out here is the Porter-Cable 7424 or the newer 7424XP. I have one of these and it's a great little machine - for what it's designed for. The Flex random orbital is much more powerful than the PC, but not nearly as powerful (or heavy) as most of the true rotary machines. I have one of these on order and it's a great compromise between a true rotary and a PC.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the information. Yes you are right for the application this is a nice machine. I generally keep my paint on both the vehicles and boat in great condition so the PC does a fantastic job for my needs. Where can I find information on the Flex machine.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Thanks for the information. Yes you are right for the application this is a nice machine. I generally keep my paint on both the vehicles and boat in great condition so the PC does a fantastic job for my needs. Where can I find information on the Flex machine.
You can either Google it or maybe go to the place I order most of my power tools - Coastal Tool. Remember, there are several different models made by Flex. I believe it's the 3401 that's pretty much a super random orbital. Their rotary comes very highly recommended too.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey enough fore play.
Call up Autogeek.com
Call up rotary buffers.
The Flex model P14-2-150 is what I am looking hard at, is not yet out on the market. There is a pretty informative video out on it. They said they would be available end January or Early Feb.
The beauty of the machine is the power of it in a small size and also it only weighs in at 5.5 pounds. That should be a nice weight to handle.
Good Luck Brian
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Big Boys Toys
Hey enough fore play.
Call up Autogeek.com
Call up rotary buffers.
The Flex model P14-2-150 is what I am looking hard at, is not yet out on the market. There is a pretty informative video out on it. They said they would be available end January or Early Feb.
The beauty of the machine is the power of it in a small size and also it only weighs in at 5.5 pounds. That should be a nice weight to handle.
Good Luck Brian
Yea, seen the video on that one too. Like most Flex machines, it should be super.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Brian i think i found my next buffer

http://autogeek.net/flex-pe14-2-150-...-polisher.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.