Preparing old boat for paint

Notices

Preparing old boat for paint

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by jackhammer
Thanks guys, 302, it's exactly why i primered so much of it. There was lots of dark colors and different shades all over the boat.

Mr. fixxit, I'm going to give it one more shot. The low spots are low enough now I think I'll just use a paint brush.
antiskid paint hides alot of imperfections lol
Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might go on record as having the longest boat project ever, haha! I dropped my tools back then and started a father/son car project with my 15 year old. He is now 18 and in college so we don't get to work on it together now. Almost a frame off resto of a 81 Turbo Trans Am. It's running great and on the road, but still needs tlc. Well I promised him I'd focus on his car with him and not get back on the boat until it was done.

So, where were we lol! I see someone didn't like my order of things... well I have to rely on what Awlgrip says in this case (ref- http://www.awlgrip.com/support-and-a...surfacing.aspx)

- Properly prepare and prime the surface with the recommended primer before starting any filling or fairing.*
- Start work with heavy fillers and proceed to lighter products. Make large depressions or low spots into smaller or shallower areas as your work progresses
- Always sand between applications of Awlfair LW.
- Always seal the completed faired and surfaced system with High Build or Ultra Build followed by at least two full wet coats of 545 Epoxy Primer before topcoating.

545 Epoxy Primer seals the relatively porous, heavily filled surfacing materials. This sealing also provides uniform color holdout for the Awlgrip/Awlcraft 2000 Topcoats, thus a better looking job with uniform gloss, color, and appearance

Well fast forward to now and I was about to use Dolphin Glaze over the top of the 545 epoxy primer. I thought for sure someone told me it was safe? Like if the 545 primer was a good barrier coat between the epoxy work I did and the polyester glaze. Everything I just read says no way jose! Wow what a mistake that would have been! Good thing I only have a little more fairing to do on the inside of the windshield.