Carbon vs Fibre glass >

Carbon vs Fibre glass

Notices

Carbon vs Fibre glass

Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks Steve, I will have our rep look into those.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Steve,

The thing is that I only have the possibility of choosing the standard fibreglass/divinycell or full carbon option. I am a novice when it comes to different techniques of using carbon but I think that it is pretty advanced what they use. Below you find some pics from previous boats under construction.

http://unomarine.no/b_ter_under_bygging/g_36_nr_11/

The one in the pictures were just test driven (2x Mercs 525 EFi) and made 100+. Wonder what to expect with 2x725 Ilmors?

One of the reasons why tailoring is not an option at the moment is that Goldfish recently received a huge order from NATO and have their hands full.. Those boats will not use Ilmors but 2x Yanmar 380 DMAX diesels instead..

//FR
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredrik R
Great Steve,

The thing is that I only have the possibility of choosing the standard fibreglass/divinycell or full carbon option. I am a novice when it comes to different techniques of using carbon but I think that it is pretty advanced what they use. Below you find some pics from previous boats under construction.

http://unomarine.no/b_ter_under_bygging/g_36_nr_11/

The one in the pictures were just test driven (2x Mercs 525 EFi) and made 100+. Wonder what to expect with 2x725 Ilmors?

One of the reasons why tailoring is not an option at the moment is that Goldfish recently received a huge order from NATO and have their hands full.. Those boats will not use Ilmors but 2x Yanmar 380 DMAX diesels instead..

//FR
Sir they do a nice job and it looks to be a great boat,but what I was saying is with carbon there is no margin of safety with that material ,so you have to look at the worst case loading and provide for that, the analogy is easy one guy is using window glass and another is using lexan, The glass appears stronger until the loading deflects it a little,While the lexan absorbed/stored the energy but did not fail. Carbon has a very small elongation (stretch)then failure while "S" Glass has over 3 times the elongation before failure.

Here is some simple impact testing on Core: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzyw0Jo8Zg

Again we chose the one that gives the greatest margin of safety.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
A 100% carbon fiber lamination in my opinion is a mistake,my ideal laminate is @ 88% S-Glass and the remainder carbon fiber with corecell as the core, You need some energy adsorption in the mix and nothing is better than a linear core for that very purpose,

Plus myself an elongation of 1.7% in the laminate does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling coupled with a brittle core like Divinycell.

I would ask for a S-Glass laminate and upgrade the core.
Have you guys used a polypropylene honeycomb before?

http://www.plascore.com/product-hone...moplasticcores

Do think it would be good for marine use?

Jeff
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered

Very interesting.. Can tell that you´re one of the authorities in this field for sure. Really grateful for your input! Just to get myself some education - fibreglass is heavier but will flex three times more than lexan (carbon?) which gives the carbon more of a snap-effect once instant maximum load i given.. fibreglass/divinycell is therefore the safer alternative and should be my choice despite heavier? That would also save me over 80 grand.. So why even consider carbon according to you?

With the ilmors, how much do you think close to 600 pounds more (fiberglass/divinycell) will slow her down compared to carbon? Is a little childish but I would badly want her to cross the 100 knots (115 mph) barrier.. But if the standard choice is significantly safer I will go with that option.

//FR
Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Registered

Sorry - Lexan was from your example, not on the boat. My misstake!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hallj
Have you guys used a polypropylene honeycomb before?

http://www.plascore.com/product-hone...moplasticcores

Do think it would be good for marine use?

Jeff
In some areas but not the hull or internal structure,Remember like in the case of a bulkhead or stringer how the loading is imposed from the edge while the foam core has omnidirectional Physicals and not just one direction.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fredrik R
Very interesting.. Can tell that you´re one of the authorities in this field for sure. Really grateful for your input! Just to get myself some education - fibreglass is heavier but will flex three times more than lexan (carbon?) which gives the carbon more of a snap-effect once instant maximum load i given.. fibreglass/divinycell is therefore the safer alternative and should be my choice despite heavier? That would also save me over 80 grand.. So why even consider carbon according to you?

With the ilmors, how much do you think close to 600 pounds more (fiberglass/divinycell) will slow her down compared to carbon? Is a little childish but I would badly want her to cross the 100 knots (115 mph) barrier.. But if the standard choice is significantly safer I will go with that option.

//FR
No if the Carbon gets loaded and is stretched 1.6-1.7 % It fails now "S" glass is nearly as stiff but can be stretched 5.3% before failure that is why the Military loves the stuff.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
In some areas but not the hull or internal structure,Remember like in the case of a bulkhead or stringer how the loading is imposed from the edge while the foam core has omnidirectional Physicals and not just one direction.
Makes sense. If one was looking to shed weight in the laminate,
would it make sense to use Kevlar on the inner part of the laminate and S-glass on the outer?

Jeff
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hallj
Makes sense. If one was looking to shed weight in the laminate,
would it make sense to use Kevlar on the inner part of the laminate and S-glass on the outer?

Jeff
I would bag everything and use unidirectional "S" glass for a tight laminate as you can see I use foam core and have built VERY Light with this system.

usually I do not recommend Kevlar for a layup but rather in specific areas where it's tensile strength is needed (around a bulkhead cutout) ,the main problem with the material is very unbalanced and has next to nothing for compressive strength, Like trying to push with a nylon rope so you must add that side with glass or carbon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.