Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Donzi Grumble Green color match and recommended paint? (PPG?) >

Donzi Grumble Green color match and recommended paint? (PPG?)

Notices

Donzi Grumble Green color match and recommended paint? (PPG?)

Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi Grumble Green color match and recommended paint? (PPG?)

I have been looking at repainting our 66 Donzi 16' to match the original gel color (or as close as possible) after a little work. The boat is still the original Grumble Green or a British Racing Green, but just ready for a new finish.
I am leaning towards the PPG paints which were recommended by the company that will be doing the work. Is there a paint code or color that anyone has experience that matches that original gel best?

It's a great boat and just want to keep it looking like the classic it is.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

If its all one color with no stripes or details PPG's Concept single stage would be great for that project. As far as color match pretty much all quality suppliers will have a color matching service.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave, I'm just looking at options. I want to keep the color close to the stock look. I've been toying with some other shades of British green too. Here are a few shots of the boat when I first started on it (it looks better now)...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bob..

I remember talking with you a few times a couple months ago.. .

Anyway. The Green in PPG or any higher end paint is going to need to be scanned if you want it to match the OE green that you have on there now, as I mentioned a while back & Dave also mentioned here.

Otherwise you may have an easier time looking picking a similar color that is close from a fleet guide. Most good paint suppliers have them or can get them for the paint lines they sell. They have many different colors in them that you can lay next to your existing finish to see how you like the color. This might help you to get your same and or similar, but slightly different color that you are looking for.

You may want to ask to see the guys book that is doing your boat, or ask that he maybe get you one to look at. I keep a few on hand at my shop to show my prospective customers. They can really be handy.

Good luck on the project & remember I am here if ya want to ship the boat over here for anything as you mentioned maybe doing in the past..

Happy new year.. Jamie / Lakeside Restorations