fibreglassing floor >

fibreglassing floor

Notices

fibreglassing floor

Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fibreglassing floor

what i got is 2300 sx sport chaparral, open bow, with ski locker L shape seating and captains chair.

what i want to do, is remove the carpet, and glass the floor, as it is, now, for strentgh and stability, and then cut some snap in carpet for it.

leave floor alone minus covering up whats there, and making it kinda like a wash out floor, drilling in some extra holes for water to make its way to the bilge.

is there any cons to doing this, if so what, and what materials do i have to use, i have basic resin and fiberglass, but what i want in end as an end product is like a slip resistant white floor through out, with abilty to snap carpet over, just like my integrated swim platform how the surface is on that is how i want the inside floor. is this possible. does it add to much weight, is it worth doing. pros and cons, and materials, and is it alot of work. to sand and finish to get the slip resistant flooring. and exspense is always a factor

ANYONE WITH THOUGHTS????? pictures videos of how to would be even better. or pics from starting to finishing there project. i just cant see paying somone to do this.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

Default bolster seat

Originally Posted by chaparral2300
what i got is 2300 sx sport chaparral, open bow, with ski locker L shape seating and captains chair.

what i want to do, is remove the carpet, and glass the floor, as it is, now, for strentgh and stability, and then cut some snap in carpet for it.

leave floor alone minus covering up whats there, and making it kinda like a wash out floor, drilling in some extra holes for water to make its way to the bilge.

is there any cons to doing this, if so what, and what materials do i have to use, i have basic resin and fiberglass, but what i want in end as an end product is like a slip resistant white floor through out, with abilty to snap carpet over, just like my integrated swim platform how the surface is on that is how i want the inside floor. is this possible. does it add to much weight, is it worth doing. pros and cons, and materials, and is it alot of work. to sand and finish to get the slip resistant flooring. and exspense is always a factor

ANYONE WITH THOUGHTS????? pictures videos of how to would be even better. or pics from starting to finishing there project. i just cant see paying somone to do this.
also wanting to install one drop out bolster size appropriate to a 2300 which is 24 ft chaparral. is there such a thing. i cant stand the design of the captains seat. it sits so low its either stand or sit. or stack cushions and life jackets up id like to have a bolster type seat. anyone got something size appopriate for a 24 footer.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

It might be easier to install something like Pirelli or Lonseal flooring. Do a search on those names and you will find lots of info.

As far as the bolster, I'd keep my eye open for a used one in the classifieds. They pop up every now and then.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

Default bolster

yea they do, but are they size appropriate for a 2300 which is basically a 23 ft boat without swim platform included. size appropriate is what im after, something basically that would fit design size of my boat, casue mine didnt usually have a bolster style seat, there basically set up for creature comfort not all out hauling ass.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

yea they do, but are they size appropriate for a 2300 which is basically a 23 ft boat without swim platform included. size appropriate is what im after, something basically that would fit design size of my boat, casue mine didnt usually have a bolster style seat, there basically set up for creature comfort not all out hauling ass.
I bet your boat has more cockpit space than most performance boats.

Check this place out, they might have what you are looking for.

http://www.twinmarine.com/bolsters.htm
Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

How far forward does your gas tank extend? That may intefere with your plan to install a drop down bolster seat. Crownline had a bolster seat as an option in their 266 open bows. The stainless legs on the bolsters were offset to clear the gas tank. Also, a metal plate would have been glassed in on the underside of the plywood floor in a Crownline with bolsters. The plate was drilled and tapped for screws. You won't have that in your boat so you will have to use toggle bolts and hope they don't pull out. I would find a later model seat that has a nice, thick fold up bolster to sit on. My boat has this type of seat and I always sit up on the bolster or stand. You can buy different length posts if your current seat is too low.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Here are the seats in my boat (sorry, don't have any shots from the front). These seats have a very thick and wide fold up bolster on them that allows you to comfortably stand to drive or will seat you up another 5 or 6". If I sit, I always sit on top of the bolster so I can see over the windshield. The bolster part is very sturdy. It easily supports my 250 lbs. These seats were used on many popular runabout boats such as Chaparral, Crownline, etc. You can fine tune the height by going with a taller or shorter pedestal in the floor. You can get those from Overton's, etc.
Attached Thumbnails fibreglassing floor-chap-seat.jpg