Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
what do I paint the bottom with? >

what do I paint the bottom with?

Notices

what do I paint the bottom with?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do I paint the bottom with?

hey guys, I have an old Nova I will keep for a few more years as it now has a new bbc in it. the sides and top are in great shape but i need to do something about the nicks and scratches in the bottom, below the water line. I need a product I can do myself as my budget is going for tuition! any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Registered

Hi Ted:

I'm looking forward to seeing what replys you get. Are you thinking about filing & sanding your nicks and scratches and then applying a barrier bottom paint?

I have a cat that the previous owner sanded the hull below the water line with the belief it would free it up and add a couple of MPH, don't like the idea at all. To prevent blistering (osmosis) from the thinned gel coat I'm considering a barrier paint. Is longevitity of gel coat your interest -vs- algae build up? I would like to find a barrier paint I could roll on. I hope I can learn from your replys, there's strength in numbers ... Glass Dave where are you?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the process of doing this now. I am going with Gelcoat. It is much cheaper than any good paint as a bonus.

I have some bodywork to do first and it needs to warm up around here to mid sixtys for it to cure. I only ordered a gallon for starters to see how it and I work out with it. I have to roll it on as the boat is on blocks. If I had a dump gun, I'd only be able to use it on part of the bow anyway. Turning the boat over is not an option for me.
Lots of sanding and buffing will be in my future I'm sure. If the bottom ends up a bit "pealy" would the be such a bad thing? Look at a golf ball

Looking forward to the advice from the pros on here.

Last edited by Underdog88; 04-02-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

If the boat isn't going to be kept in the water , you can use automotive paint, . sickens, imron, awlgrip...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Auto paint? Really? That is just what I wanted to hear as I trailer it where ever I go anyway. It may spend one or two nights in the water at any given time but it is always pulled at the end of the weekend. So what I think I am hearing is something like an acrylic enamel or polyurethane?

Thanks for all you help guys. It's just an old boat but it's MY old boat!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

I had my Donzi done with Sickens and it held up great.. no issues at all .. I did not keep the boat in the water though..
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Hi Ted
I did my boat 3 years ago, I used Interlux VC perfprmance epoxy with teflon. Its a 2 part paint and I sprayed it on. I'm not a painter and it came out awsome. still looks new. My boat spends weekends in the water. I hope this helps
Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered

Yes it does help, thank you. I thought about that product but I was told you couldn't spray epoxy. I have to take the boat off the trailer and lift it to repair the nicks and scratches as there is no way I am going to flip it! I am thinking of hanging it from some A frames with chain hoists to repair it.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

I had to do alot of repairs to the hull and fliping it was not and option.
I blocked the two back corners and used my engine hoist to hold up the front. I put rolling dollies i bult under the boat that i would move around just for back up
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

Default Bottom Paint

Any suggestions on a roll on bottom side barrier paint to reduce potential for Osmosis?

I'll listen to all, Thanks ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.