Notices

hull painting

Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hull painting

I am redoing a older Owens ski boat and the hull and topsides are quite checked. I am in the process of sanding it all out and wanted to know of a primer to start out with. Even after alot of sanding with #80 and then 120 it all seems to be faired in well but I am worried about getting a good base down as the hull is 40 plus years old.How much finer do I need to go with sanding, I was thinking #220?? I am probaby going to spray it with a Interlux or Pettit type finish unless a better sugestion comes along. I have done some spraying before but by no means am great at it. Thanx for reading and any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by duck1; 04-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I dont normally go past 180 and i use PPG's K-36. Its a great high build primer and sands easy. For non metallic colors i also use PPG's single stage Concept. What color is the boat going to be and is it all one color?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Thanx for the help Dave, The hull is going to be a white or off white and there is a stripe above and below the rubrail, I am redoing the boat as it was a old time friend of the family who has passed so with limited experience and a limited budget I need all the help I can get. Woulsdthe Duratec primer be and good for this use? Thanx Again
Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Duratechs primer would actually be one of the best ones to use on this project. Choosing a shade of white can actually be pretty tricky if you dont have an original example. Are you looking to get as close to the original color as possible?

I have an old Tompson that i would like to re do some day. Not necesarily to use but it was my grandfathers and we use to go fishing all the time in it. Great memories . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Registered

I do have a place where I can match it up but not really worried about original, just something close that looks good. It was white with a gray stripe above and below the rubrail as I said but was thinking os a light yellow that interlux has. Is this a good choice as far as paint considering experience and price. Thanx alot for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Dave said above, if you feel better going with a "Marine" paint, I have had good luck with Interlux's Perfection line.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
I dont normally go past 180 and i use PPG's K-36. Its a great high build primer and sands easy. For non metallic colors i also use PPG's single stage Concept. What color is the boat going to be and is it all one color?
Hey Glassdave is the MAN!!!!

He recommended that I shoot the PPG Concept paint line in the White # 91050, and it could not be a more perfect white to use.

It is exactly like he said it would be, white but not too white, and it commpliments everything!

I'd thank him in a pm, but then I saw this post!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

Thanx for all the help from everyone...but another question. I ordered the primer from duratec and the lady wasn't sure, she said to thin it with MEK solvent or laquer thinner is this correct or is acetone the mixer of choice. Can I shoot this with a conventional gun??? THanx