Building Race Hatches. >

Building Race Hatches.

Notices

Building Race Hatches.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
Did you do this for the Mistress? Can you post some pics?

I went through a bunch of scenarios but kept coming back to 1/4" or 3/8" marine ply glued together, glassed in the corners and then lightly glassed over the surfaces. I was going to size mine so that there was enough of the hatch at deck level to walk around either side, but in general, not make it walkable across all surfaces.

Randy
Randy, here is a pic. Mine feels stronger than a typical boat deck, except for the scoops themselves, which are just 7 plies of boat glass. I have a 2x6 spar that runs fore and aft that receives the hatch actuator, and supports the deck at mid-span. It isn't perfect by any production standards, but I built it mostly from extra glass and carbon I had laying around, and spent maybe $1000 on epoxy and paint. It probably weighs about 180 lb.

To make the scoops, I lofted it out, and just went directly to the female mold instead of making a plug. The mold was a throwaway, but I got the two parts out of it.

To match the curvature of the deck, I made a template using a 2x1 furring strip screwed to standoffs to a 2x4, and sanded to match.

Since this hatch floats on the top of the deck surface, I bolted a pair of 1/2" SS cap screws with acorn nuts facing up, and they index into 3/4" holes drilled in the bottom of the hatch face. Once the hatch is sucked down by the actuator, and engaged onto them, it won't try to rack the hinges.
Attached Thumbnails Building Race Hatches.-img_0793a.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S., here is the first of the motors being test fit this last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Building Race Hatches.-img_0803a.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone tell me the dimensions of an apache or similar old school race hatch? im more interested in how tall they are. i understand the width and the hatch needs to look to fit for the boat but im curious if anyone can tell me how tall and the angles on the old school hatches. the hatch im intersted in is the one that angles up in the front and is basically a box with the square back that is two peices (one port one starboard) and covers the whole engine hatch. im looking to maybe build another hatch for the kv and any information will help. thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Ok, here is what me and a carpenter friend built. This was kinda a rush job as it was mid summer. Now, I really like the hatch shape and size. However, the build sucks.

We removed the original pads from the hatches. Then built on top of them, using plywood. Then we pretty much bondo'ed them, board sanded them, and painted with interlux paint. Problem is, #1 they are very heavy. #2, they are starting to crack in spots.

I'd love to have someone make me hatches like this out of a mold or something. Just not sure how much something like that would cost. Have thought of wrapping them in vinyl when I redo the cockpit upholstery. Idk. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Building Race Hatches.-418525_335433276547068_203986246_n.jpg   Building Race Hatches.-hatchplates.jpg   Building Race Hatches.-img_0479.jpg  

Building Race Hatches.-img_0556.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mild i have the same paint scheme but in a 98 42
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Ok, here is what me and a carpenter friend built. This was kinda a rush job as it was mid summer. Now, I really like the hatch shape and size. However, the build sucks.

We removed the original pads from the hatches. Then built on top of them, using plywood. Then we pretty much bondo'ed them, board sanded them, and painted with interlux paint. Problem is, #1 they are very heavy. #2, they are starting to crack in spots.

I'd love to have someone make me hatches like this out of a mold or something. Just not sure how much something like that would cost. Have thought of wrapping them in vinyl when I redo the cockpit upholstery. Idk. Any ideas?
Use your hatches as a plug and pull a mold
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 366 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Use your hatches as a plug and pull a mold
Thats what I was going to say also.................... MT, your a 1/3 of the way there
Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What do you guys think of wrapping them in vinyl? I'd like to redo the whole cockpit interior this winter. Really liking the carbon fiber vinyls.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 256 Likes on 111 Posts

Tcelano what size engines and hp are you dropping in? Looking good. Putting some 598 darts in my old girl.