thickened epoxy or rage gold for fairing

Notices

thickened epoxy or rage gold for fairing

Old 09-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default thickened epoxy or rage gold for fairing

hello all. i'm new to the forum but not to boats. about ten years ago i restored a cool old searay srv190. (not an old geezer build but a mini off shore build. through hull pipes, built small block, 55mph on the gps etc....).

the hull was a mess and i used a marine body filler to repair all the gouges, screw holes and cracks (i "veed" out the spider cracks with a dremel tool)

i shot it with ppg concept and it still shows like new.

over the years i've noticed a bit of shrinkage in the areas where i filled in screw holes and gouges. not very noticeable but i can see the areas if i really look for them and in the right light.

my new project is a 1977 pantera that is in a lot better shape than the searay i started with. some spider webbing and several screw holes and snaps that i'm going to be filing and fixing.

my question is this: is it better to use a thickened mixture of epoxy to fair out the holes and cracks after structurally repairing the holes or am i better off with epoxy and glass in the large holes (old vhf antenna, depth finder etc...) and then fairing them out with a quality, low shrinkage, filler like rage gold?

i really want this project to be perfect.

thanks in advance for any thoughts

have a good night, rob.

ps....here's a couple pics of my little searay:

Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

She's a cream puff there, looks like a bit of a sleeper to. Nice job!

For holes larger then a half inch or so you'll wanna glass it in rather then use a thickened resin. One thing to keep in mind is the incompatibility of some of the products you mentioned. Most (in my opinion all) epoxies are not compatible with polyester based fillers like Rage or pretty much any other autobody type filler. The amine blush released by the epoxy inhibits the cure of esters so they should not be used to fair out epoxy repairs. You need to stick with one system or the other. For non structural repairs or low stress areas i still recommend the use of vinylester resin with either glass or any of west systems dry powdered fillers and 3M's Premium Marine filler for light surface imperfections and surface fairing. Esters are faster and easier to work with at the do it yourself level and are less costly, again unless its structural.

for V'ed out stress cracks and gouges you should use Wests 404 high density filler with your resin of choice. If an ester you can sand it down and fair it with 3M Premium, if epoxy is used you will need an epoxy specific filler like Silver Tip Quick Fair. Either way you will want a high density in as the base fill or they will eventually print through. The benefit of using an ester system is you can then gelcoat it for further fairing and holdout. Epoxies must be primed and painted.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-29-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks dave! i really appreciate your input.

i will use my epoxy for some structural repairs in the engine compartment and stringers and use a polyester resin/glass and the 3m filler for the gouges and small holes.

do you prefer the 3m over the rage gold?

i plan on painting the boat with ppg concept.

thanks again!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

also, the old srv is a sleeper. lol.

here's a youtube video of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuSAhivLffo
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

yes, the 3M is far superior then any autobody filler. Its marine specific and works/sands very easy.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry.....but I have to disagree....

Rage Gold is that expensive for a reason....
Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by commandersander
Sorry.....but I have to disagree....

Rage Gold is that expensive for a reason....
Rage is an automotive product and very light one at that. I do like it and use it on cars often but it could never hold a candle to 3M's premium marine. Rage gold is not expensive . . . . . 3M premium is expensive . . . . better then twice as much and well worth it

how the heck did ya dig this old thread up?

Last edited by glassdave; 06-26-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Rage is an automotive product and very light one at that. I do like it and use it on cars often but it could never hold a candle to 3M's premium marine. Rage gold is not expensive . . . . . 3M premium is expensive . . . . better then twice as much and well worth it

how the heck did ya dig this old thread up?
CHIT... NONE OF THAT IS EXPENSIVE !! TRY BUYING A KIT OF Alexseal fairing compound $ 442.62 THEN YOU CAN START BI*CHING ALL THAT OTHER BS IS CHEAP

Last edited by ridefast77; 06-27-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

lol

hey wait a minute isnt that like a five gallon kit? Bringing your cost to what? $89 a gl? . . . . I win at $140 a gallon

To tell ya the truth there a place in Detroit called Michigan Fiberglass and they have an in house brand of snow white vinylester fairing filler i really like. Stuffs amazing, its weird it goes on thick and cures hard as a rock but for some reason still sands easily and is very easy to level. I try an grab a gallon or two any time i am up that way.

Last edited by glassdave; 06-27-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
yes, the 3M is far superior then any autobody filler. Its marine specific and works/sands very easy.
Not trying to stir the Pot , and this is just a reminder ......... 3M filler should not be used with any Epoxy systems considering there is p - 77 made by Adtech , that is good above and below the waterline / sands easy , and can be used on Epoxy . http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-16-...-compound.aspx and while you you are at it ....... check out the other great products they have to offer which is just a suggestion.............

Last edited by Glassic R.T.; 06-27-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.