glass over a sub box thats mdf ? >

glass over a sub box thats mdf ?

Notices

glass over a sub box thats mdf ?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 523 Posts

My box is made out of 3/4 inch plywood, coated with resin and then carpeted. I wouldn't want one built any other way.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
The reason MDF is used for speakers (even the big dollar companys use it ) is sound quality. Ply is never a good choice for sound, however if you must use ply I would recommend a sealed enclosure with poly filling to soften the kettle drum sound you will get from a soild wood.

The last box I made I used a thin fleece from Jo-ann fabics. Resin coated about 6 times. thin layer of bondo over resin, block sanded, had painted candy and cleared at local body shop. Took about 3 weeks from start to finish, and I would never do it again.

I have built a few mdf boxes with marine starboard fronts. The front of the box was also the back seat base of the boat. They looked and sounded great. Make sure you dynamat the outside of the box that is not visible, stops nearly all of the vibration noise in other parts of the boat.
My subs are free air JL's, so it isnt really a box per say. They are mounted under the back seat and use that airspace. Sound pretty good, I cant totally enclose it because it is all the storage space I have.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
My subs are free air JL's, so it isnt really a box per say. They are mounted under the back seat and use that airspace. Sound pretty good, I cant totally enclose it because it is all the storage space I have.
Free air subs are great, but keep in mind they only work 100% if the air from the back of the sub is separated from the air on the front side of the sub. My friend had 2 jl free airs under his hinged back seat. They sounds ok, but I knew we could do better. He needed access under the seat, so I designed "lids" for both openings. I used southco cam lock fasteners for easy removal. And dens foam weatherstip to seal the lids. The result was the boat went from some bass, to pounding bass! He had to re-adjust his head unit to compensate because the music sounds too bassy

I still box free air subs, free air just means I don't have to worry about the box being too big, the long excursion VC (voice coil) can handle it. A sealed or ported enclosure sub will have better sound, but in a free air situation the sub will fail as the VC will over extend and ruin the speaker.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
The reason MDF is used for speakers (even the big dollar companys use it ) is sound quality. Ply is never a good choice for sound, however if you must use ply I would recommend a sealed enclosure with poly filling to soften the kettle drum sound you will get from a soild wood.

The last box I made I used a thin fleece from Jo-ann fabics. Resin coated about 6 times. thin layer of bondo over resin, block sanded, had painted candy and cleared at local body shop. Took about 3 weeks from start to finish, and I would never do it again.

I have built a few mdf boxes with marine starboard fronts. The front of the box was also the back seat base of the boat. They looked and sounded great. Make sure you dynamat the outside of the box that is not visible, stops nearly all of the vibration noise in other parts of the boat.
good point, guess i never thought of that. Would it work better with a higher ply / higher density like Luan 9 ply? I have always cringed with any type of cast wood product like mdf in the marine environment. I guess its a double edge sword of sorts, either sound quality or more durable box. I know mdf wouldnt stand a chance with the pounding i put my boat through
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
good point, guess i never thought of that. Would it work better with a higher ply / higher density like Luan 9 ply? I have always cringed with any type of cast wood product like mdf in the marine environment. I guess its a double edge sword of sorts, either sound quality or more durable box. I know mdf wouldnt stand a chance with the pounding i put my boat through
Maybe, but the problem is solid wood has an inherent resonance that will wreck the flat frequency response of any traditional cone-type speaker. The slight sound absorbtion of the the mdf is perfect. You want to hear the speaker, not the box. Like the opposite of an acoustic guitar. A 6.5" speaker mounted in a guitar would sound terrible. My Klispch lascala speakers ($3k each when new) are mdf veneered in cherry. My Pinnacle towers are also MDF, I know cause the wifey some how knocked a corner off one

Keep in mind you can gusset the corners of the box with hardwood scraps, I get mine from the local Stickley furniture factory for free. I use clear silicone for "glue", SS wood screws, then smoot the silicone joint on the inside. If you are concerned about repairs or removal, the silicone makes it easy. For more permanent installations use a high qual constuction glue, SS screws, but also use small wooden dowels to drill and pin the walls together. If my box breaks, chances are you boat is broke as well
Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The board I have now is MDF but no resin/glass coating and wrapped with vinyl. It is already punky and coming loose. I knew it wasnt kosher when it was installed and planned to fix it myself later. Another thing to think about, the rest of the seat box/floor/supports are fiberglass coated marine plywood or balsa, so really the backerboard for the speakers shouldnt make a whole lot of difference at this point should it?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
The board I have now is MDF but no resin/glass coating and wrapped with vinyl. It is already punky and coming loose. I knew it wasnt kosher when it was installed and planned to fix it myself later. Another thing to think about, the rest of the seat box/floor/supports are fiberglass coated marine plywood or balsa, so really the backerboard for the speakers shouldnt make a whole lot of difference at this point should it?
I good solid enclosure is more important than anything. Material type is more tuning for sound than anything. You ever hear a bose wave radio? That is a great example of sound tuning, however they dont use mdf tho But they spend a lot of time a research tuning the enclosure, the end result is filling a room with full range sound from 4" speakers, with real bass I have played around with different port sizes in both ported and band pass enclosures, you would be surprised what a big deal just a couple of inches makes (no pun intended).

If I took two good subs, and built equal size boxes...one from ply and one from mdf you would hear the difference, no question. However, if you don't hear the mdf you will never know right?

What kind of subs are you using?

Are they free air, standard. Are you planing on a ported or sealed enclosure?

As I stated earlier, if someone demanded ply and I had to build the box I would make it a sealed enclosure, and fill the box with speaker poly. The poly (like pillow stuffing) acutally effective makes the box bigger as far as sound and air ar concerned. So you will want to make your box a few 10ths of a cubic ft smaller than the recommended for best sound. The poly will help cut down on the unwanted resonence created from solid woods. wrap the outside of all surfaces with dynamat (or roofing membrane if you are cheap ) and enjoy the sound of the speaker itself, not the virbration of the material.

That kid that drives by your house with the trunk rattling, he can't hear the trunk in the car....you will hear both sides plus the boat, that "trunk" noise will ruin your sound quality.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
My box is made out of 3/4 inch plywood, coated with resin and then carpeted. I wouldn't want one built any other way.
x2 except vinyl. put blocks in the corners for extra strength and some rubber feet on it so the water passes right under it. 2 seasons of splashing and pounding and it still sounds great!
Attached Thumbnails glass over a sub box thats mdf ?-38496_702808615461_172000039_41477872_7703492_n.jpg  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't want MDF then you want woods of various densities. Creating your own lamination of wood can be a pain in the butt as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Hey 4bus how bout a product like Coosa or Penske board for an enclosure? It comes in several different densities. Wonder if you could tune an enclosure with this.

http://coosacomposites.com/
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.