Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge >

Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge

Notices

Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge

Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn... No - I appreciate any any all comments here. The last thing I want to have is a compromised hull and have it go down. I don't know much about boats / construction. What comes next? More severe cracks? Obviously the pad must have had lots of vertical movement for that to happen??? Or is this pressure / shock damage?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Shag555
Damn... No - I appreciate any any all comments here. The last thing I want to have is a compromised hull and have it go down. I don't know much about boats / construction. What comes next? More severe cracks? Obviously the pad must have had lots of vertical movement for that to happen??? Or is this pressure / shock damage?
stay out of the ruff stuff and you should be fine until the end of the season..call your ins,should be covered under your comp and wont cost you a dime..pull engines and have glasdave fix you up and even beef it up..
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Gold Member

holly chitt.that would worry the hell outa me.i would have a pro look at that.those cracks could go south quick and open up another can of worms.better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
stay out of the ruff stuff and you should be fine until the end of the season..call your ins,should be covered under your comp and wont cost you a dime..pull engines and have glasdave fix you up and even beef it up..
Are you sure about the insurance? To me this is a warranty issue. Insurance will cover a scratch in the paint of your car, but they will not cover paint fade damage over time.

I would think if you call insurance to tell them this happened on one specific wave, as one single impact. Telling them this happened over time, even the course of a ride for the day may spin this back as a mfg defect that they will not cover.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't see how insurance would be involved with this repair. It is a construction and/or use issue.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

How would Donzi warranty this? I'm the second owner and the boat is a 2001? I've called my insurance company and explained what happened. I completely agree that it'd be nice to have someone like GlassDave look at it. At the moment, it doesn't appear to me that there is any delamination or damage to the main stringers. I'm confident I could repair this myself, but if I get in a good swell again and it opens up a crack in the hull and allows water to come in - that's not a situation I'd like to be in, period. Provided it's covered under my insurance, it'll go to a pro for repairs.

Can you elaborate on "warranty" - if it's a warranty issue and is transferrable, that's where it'll go.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Yeah. I'm sick to my stomach. The last thing I want is a piece of junk...

Originally Posted by bcfountain
holly chitt.that would worry the hell outa me.i would have a pro look at that.those cracks could go south quick and open up another can of worms.better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Yeah. I'm sick to my stomach. The last thing I want is a piece of junk...
its all good,try not to worry.the good thing about it is that it is fiberglass and it can be easyly fixed.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you elaborate on "warranty" - if it's a warranty issue and is transferrable, that's where it'll go.
Well, seeing that Donzi is currently out of business I wouldn't know where to send you

I should have used the term "manufactures defect", this is something that happens over time, not from an accident.

I don't know what you said to the insurance company, I was looking out for you to tell them it was a single impact that cause the damage. (like a giant wake moved in on me, I hit it and the boat landed funny and I heard a loud crack) IMO they will deny this claim unless you can show them a single act of god, or collision occured.

Other examples:

roof of house ripped off in wind storm = covered
roof of house goes bad over time and needs to be replaced = not covered

Hit something in the road and rip the rear end out of your truck = covered
Rear end rusts out and falls apart = not covered

You get where I am going?

You are going to have to prove one incident caused this damage, not small cracks over time that eventually show. If the boat has poor construction and their underwriters can prove it they will tell you to walk. Worth a shot I guess.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Registered

Im not too worried about it (I am, but Im also old enough to know that thats life). It happened in rough water, and thats exactly what happened, and exactly what I told the claims representative. The adjuster is making an appointment to make an estimate, so, If they cover it, fantastic. If not, then ive got some work ahead of me. Its been a great boat, and Im sure Ill get a lot more out of it.

I do appreciate all the comments, and please, keep them coming. I suppose in a couple of weeks I'll have a better idea of what course this is going.

The Donzi warranty expired in 2006 (hull warranty of 5 years). The original owner of the boat since new kept all paperwork, and I got it with the sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.