Polisher/Buffer Equipment Recomendation >

Polisher/Buffer Equipment Recomendation

Notices

Polisher/Buffer Equipment Recomendation

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polisher/Buffer Equipment Recomendation

Looking for a good polisher/buffer. I have a 30' boat and will need something that will hold up. Thinking of the Makita 9227CX3 7-Inch Hook and Loop variable speed polisher (currently under $200 on amazon)? Any other recomendations/favorites?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of ppl like the makita..but the best one is called flex...they make a orbidle one that wont leave swirl marks like a circular buffer will..
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i really like the Makitas i have in my shop. They have outlasted my Dewalt big time. Funny thing is the Dewalt felt solid and heavy duty while the Makita seemed light. Dewalt made it maybe a year while the Makitas easily took a beating for the last eight years no prob. I've heard good things about the Flex mentioned above but have not tried one yet, was hoping to pick one up when the Makita dies but it just aint happened yet lol.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
i really like the Makitas i have in my shop. They have outlasted my Dewalt big time. Funny thing is the Dewalt felt solid and heavy duty while the Makita seemed light. Dewalt made it maybe a year while the Makitas easily took a beating for the last eight years no prob. I've heard good things about the Flex mentioned above but have not tried one yet, was hoping to pick one up when the Makita dies but it just aint happened yet lol.
Thanks for the input - did a quick search on amazon and found the Flex XC3401VRG Orbital Action Polisher - is this a good model?

Would a good combination be the Makita for the heavy oxidation removal and the Flex for the finishing polish/wax?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase
Would a good combination be the Makita for the heavy oxidation removal and the Flex for the finishing polish/wax?
Yep, you definitely need a good strong rotary for oxidation and orbital is nice for detailing. To tell the truth i haven't touched my orbital in years though, i should put that back in the program .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Yep, you definitely need a good strong rotary for oxidation and orbital is nice for detailing. To tell the truth i haven't touched my orbital in years though, i should put that back in the program .
Thanks glassdave - I'm going to try the Makita/Flex combo.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Registered

Default fixx

Thanks glassdave - I'm going to try the Makita/Flex combo.
whyle you at it go to ebay or amazon may have it also..you want to also get aqua buff 1000 which you will use with the makita buffer,you may also want to pick up a few Wool rough cut buffing pads..apply the aqua buff and have a spray bottle handy to spray the area with water because the aqua buff dry's out real quick but removes oxidation real good...next look for aqua buff 2000,also you want to get a few fine wool buffing bonnets,then same thing applys when buffing..i like to use colenite wax..apply the first coat with the flex buffer and a foam pad,,leave it sit for a hour then buf it off with the flex..make sure you wash the boat between the buffing and waxing stages so you dont scratch the final out vome of the gloss of the gelcoat..
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
whyle you at it go to ebay or amazon may have it also..you want to also get aqua buff 1000 which you will use with the makita buffer,you may also want to pick up a few Wool rough cut buffing pads..apply the aqua buff and have a spray bottle handy to spray the area with water because the aqua buff dry's out real quick but removes oxidation real good...next look for aqua buff 2000,also you want to get a few fine wool buffing bonnets,then same thing applys when buffing..i like to use colenite wax..apply the first coat with the flex buffer and a foam pad,,leave it sit for a hour then buf it off with the flex..make sure you wash the boat between the buffing and waxing stages so you dont scratch the final out vome of the gloss of the gelcoat..
Thanks for the info fixxall - how does the Aqua Buff compounds compare to the 3M compounds? I can get the 3M products locally but they seem very pricy? I would need to order the Aqua products online.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Thanks for the info fixxall - how does the Aqua Buff compounds compare to the 3M compounds? I can get the 3M products locally but they seem very pricy? I would need to order the Aqua products online.

Thanks for the input.
it cuts better..made for gel and if you have a big boat i think they sell a gallon bucket for like 30.00.. you wont be sorry..

http://www.aqua-buff.com/site/478459/page/45031

Last edited by FIXX; 10-02-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
it cuts better..made for gel and if you have a big boat i think they sell a gallon bucket for like 30.00.. you wont be sorry..

http://www.aqua-buff.com/site/478459/page/45031
I'll give it a try - thanks for the tip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.