Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help! >

How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!

Notices

How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts
Default How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!

So I start poking around and realize the lower half of my port outside stringer is mud. Oh well, cut it out make a new one. I've read every thread on stringer repair watched videos and done a bunch of other glass work no big deal.

Well apparently this one has been wet a while and all the glass holding it down delaminated and came out with it. Hmmm that's weird. I must have missed the part in the other threads where you had grind all the glass out of the bilge up to about a foot away and 1/4" deep to find laminate that doesn't lift out with a screwdriver. And still the edges keep breaking away. At least it's dry now. I found puddles of water under the first 3 layers.

How far do I keep grinding? What do I lay this back up with? It looks like roving was in here. I'll post pics in a little while when I get home and start drinking.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

the pic of me holding a piece (7th one I think) is a piece of glass I lifted out. Same as the next pic, laminate just peeled right up. Kept finding water under the laminate.
Attached Thumbnails How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-9.jpg   How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-8.jpg   How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-10.jpg  

How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-11.jpg   How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-7.jpg   How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-6.jpg  

How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-5.jpg   How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-4.jpg   How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-3.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Registered

pics of the edge that just kept lifting
Attached Thumbnails How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-2.jpg   How far do you go?!?!?! Glassdave help!-1.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Welp the long an short of it is you keep grinding till you get to good solid glass. Usually you just need to cut everything out and grind back the original tabbing. Looks like you have an extreme case of some kind of delamination, your heading in the right direction. While your boat is constructed of old school roving its not the best laminate to put back in. A quality 1708 bi ax is pretty much all you need for your project, also is a good idea to use a vinylester resin. Keep the pics coming. What boat is that?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-27-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered

It's an 82, bill farmer built Excalibur hawk 40. I was starting to think I was going to see the trailer any minute if I kept grinding!
Many of the layers actually had water under them. I'm guessing the water that got into and rotted the stringer made its way through the laminate and caused this. I very well may be 100% wrong that's just my wild a$$ guess! Thank you! Looks like I'm headed to Jamestown distributors tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Some of those older roving laminations can have all kinds of problems. Just gotta and push threw 'em. I actually have hit trailer before lol
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Jamie, that may have been a contributing factor to my stringers cracking a couple seasons ago when I had your boat? How did you find this?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Registered

Was grinding old paint out of the bilge, getting ready to fill a couple screw holes and a stress crack. I slipped, kicked the stringer and thought I saw it move. Started tapping around and pushed on it and it felt like it was going to buckle.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take your time jamie,its a fun boat keep the pictures coming
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered

Everybody keeps saying its a fun boat..... I haven't found that "fun" yet lol. Lots and lots of work. I have to get all these issues straightened out so I can move on to the next mess poking its ugly head out. Cabin and cockpit interior are getting priced out this week so I know how much to save up for that. Hot rod interior shops should not work on boats. Nothing is actually "secured" in this boat. Another thread another day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.