Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Hey  dave , ever installed steps on conv v bottom ? >

Hey dave , ever installed steps on conv v bottom ?

Notices

Hey dave , ever installed steps on conv v bottom ?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey dave , ever installed steps on conv v bottom ?

Dave ,

I have a 28 Pantera class B race boat triple outboard hull I picked up for almost free . I have done many , many projects and always wanted to build my own boat .
I plan to cut deck off and build my own as the orig 28 Pantera deck is plain dated and ugly ( even current models ) , mine is going to look like 34 Phantom more or less with NO rubrail

The Bottom I want to install steps and yes I know Pantera has finally awoke and done this but I feel the steps on current Pantera are a bit to forward .

I cant mention names But I'm going to bring two of biggest names in the business to help me with step placement .

At the end of the day I'm shooting for 90 plus with 632 Merlin . The boat again is Factory race boat with no liner or cabin .

Dave have you ever been involved with this type project ?

Larry

Last edited by KEVLARKAT32; 05-20-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

well, i havnt actually installed steps but heck its only fiberglass lol . Are you planing a running plug then with a mold in the future after its worked out? or are doing just the one? Also does the current bottom have a core? (i assume not)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 05-20-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Dave,
I plan on like you said running the hull in case of any changes I might want to make . For the deck I will build a plug on my hull after I install stepped bottom ( twin step similar to fountain ) and shorten stock hull sides around 2-3 inches , my boat will be sit down with seating similar to my skater . I will pull a mold off deck plug for maybe later building a boat or 2 . Also NO RUBRAIL just a smooth look . This is something I always wanted to do and Personally know a few guys have built their own and maybe its my time . This wont start for a year or more as I have finish Skater paint and other crap first .
Not sure about my 1986 Pantera lay-up schedule , I'm with you assume no . When I get into it I may pay you for some consulting work
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would talk to Mark @ rage. He has stepped a 24 or 28 Pantera owned by Richie Zul. He said it really woke the boat up. I think 30 mph...
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, no pantera bottoms have ever had coring, solid glass.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
Dave ,

I have a 28 Pantera class B race boat triple outboard hull I picked up for almost free . I have done many , many projects and always wanted to build my own boat .
I plan to cut deck off and build my own as the orig 28 Pantera deck is plain dated and ugly ( even current models ) , mine is going to look like 34 Phantom more or less with NO rubrail

The Bottom I want to install steps and yes I know Pantera has finally awoke and done this but I feel the steps on current Pantera are a bit to forward .

I cant mention names But I'm going to bring two of biggest names in the business to help me with step placement .

At the end of the day I'm shooting for 90 plus with 632 Merlin . The boat again is Factory race boat with no liner or cabin .

Dave have you ever been involved with this type project ?

Larry
What method are you going to use to determine the performance dynamics and turning capabilities of the hull at different speeds with the new steps?
Are you going to adjust the lifting strakes as well?
How tall are you going to make them?
Will you be adjusting the transom angle as well to compensate for the new angle of attack?
Why 2 steps as opposed to 1 or 3 or 4?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-05-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered

Thanks , Mark was number one on my list. Just spoke to a buddy who was there as Mark cut the bottom off . How much HP on Zul 28 and what does it run ?

Larry
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What method are you going to use to determine the performance dynamics and turning capabilities of the hull at different speeds with the new steps?
Are you going to adjust the lifting strakes as well?
How tall are you going to make them?
Will you be adjusting the transom angle as well to compensate for the new angle of attack?
Why 2 steps as opposed to 1 or 3 or 4?
All the above details are why I will consult with the best in business . Once the engineering is worked out I will handle the rest .
Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure of the hp of the 28 but i was told b4 steps 70mph after 100. Supposedly the boat wouldn't go over 70 before and that's why the boat was there. Mark is a mad man when it comes to fiberglass and design (heck of a nice guy 2). Me personally if I was going to do a project like that I would stick with one guy that knows what they are doing. If you get a thousand bits of advice and listen to all of them I think you might end up with a pile of junk...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Registered

Spoke to Mark , were both on the same page . He never did a Pantera , Zul boat was a Superboat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.