Smooth finish for bilge?

Notices

Smooth finish for bilge?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Smooth finish for bilge?

Glassed in some additional stringers in my bilge w/epoxy resin & 17 oz. DB stitchmat. The stitchmat surface is kinda rough
and was looking for a smoother final surface to paint upon. What would be the best material (glass) use w/epoxy resin?
I have some 6 oz. cloth around but not sutre, it looks to be too light...........Thanks,
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just throwing this out there (cause I didnt know till after I finished all the epoxy repairs and wish I did) they now make an epoxy gel coat to go over epoxy resin. Might help out with smoothing out your work...
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You could prime it and use filler. The problem with Epoxy is that once you start with it you have to stick with it...unless you prime it you cant use poly gel.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

The best way to get the initial surface smooth is to put a layer of peel ply on the final surface laminate before it cures, also helps balance the resin ratio. From there you'll need an epoxy compatible filler like Ultra Fair from Adtech. This stuff works pretty easy and you can get a pretty fine finish, spreads like cake frosting. From there its primer and paint.

http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-86-...-compound.aspx

Also for future epoxy projects its pointless and labor intensive to use stitch mat or any kind of mat with epoxy, you should be using 1700 (17 oz matless bi ax) for nearly everything. Disoriented strand mat is a weak link in an epoxy laminate and ends up being a wet unnecessarily heavy unbalanced mess.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
The best way to get the initial surface smooth is to put a layer of peel ply on the final surface laminate before it cures, also helps balance the resin ratio. From there you'll need an epoxy compatible filler like Ultra Fair from Adtech. This stuff works pretty easy and you can get a pretty fine finish, spreads like cake frosting. From there its primer and paint.

http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-86-...-compound.aspx

Also for future epoxy projects its pointless and labor intensive to use stitch mat or any kind of mat with epoxy, you should be using 1700 (17 oz matless bi ax) for nearly everything. Disoriented strand mat is a weak link in an epoxy laminate and ends up being a wet unnecessarily heavy unbalanced mess.
Dave,
Correction, don't know why I referred to using stitch mat, I'm (as you suggested) properly using the 1700 bi ax with the epoxy resin........the peel ply sounds good, but I'm already
done with glassing the final layer's of the stringers............I'm looking for a smooth surface, but after all it's only the bilge.........and I don't want to get labor intensive with a fairing
filler. I was thinking, but not sure if a fiberglass cloth would be OK?............6oz. or maybe 9oz.???...................paint will be used (in the bilge) and not any kind of gelcoat......thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Dave,
Correction, don't know why I referred to using stitch mat, I'm (as you suggested) properly using the 1700 bi ax with the epoxy resin........the peel ply sounds good, but I'm already
done with glassing the final layer's of the stringers............I'm looking for a smooth surface, but after all it's only the bilge.........and I don't want to get labor intensive with a fairing
filler. I was thinking, but not sure if a fiberglass cloth would be OK?............6oz. or maybe 9oz.???...................paint will be used (in the bilge) and not any kind of gelcoat......thanks.
yes you can use a light finishing cloth as your final layer and that will help a bunch. If you nac find a 2x2 twill weave it leaves a pretty uniform surface with the same pattern as carbon fiber appearance cloths. I am pretty sure they have it at US comp. Just take your time with your final finish layer and make sure your patterns are cut clean and take care applying them, it goes a long way in helping achieve a good surface
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks everybody!....................Dave I'll give it a try (US comp. 7.5oz. 2x2 twill) it's listed as the new stuff.................Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alex seal gray puddy