Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Rustoleum over Bilgekote? >

Rustoleum over Bilgekote?

Notices

Rustoleum over Bilgekote?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tcwcar, that would be a big help.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Not sure what Tile clad is CC230, the primer I used said macropoxy on the can and said for marine use, than I used the same stuff Fixx used to go over the primer, I wjll get you the numbers of the stuff I use from SW
The Macropoxy I used was white but it was satin. Are you saying your primer was Macropoxy and your topcoat was what Fix used...that may be why yours is glossy and mine is satin? When I say satin I mean there is little or no reflection.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok this is what I used first (primer} Macropoxy 646 color B58 w610(mill white) in a gallon, hardener for the Macropoxy B58 V600 in a gallon... now I used the prime because my bilge was real rough, I sanded the crap out of the bilge and used the macropoxy to help fill in over the rough spots and low spots, the marcopoxy is real thick, it did a great job of filling in inperfections. Then I sanded the macropoxy with 180 gt once it hardened. Then I used the high solids polyurethane paint B65w311 exrtra white in a gallon, hardner for that is B60V30 and that is a quart, they will also tint it to any color you want...the top color I used is a gloss, the macropoxy prime is a satin....
Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered

Thank you tcwcar, that's a great help! Now I'll know I got the right stuff, they weren't sure what to use, and that was with the area rep there.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Ok this is what I used first (primer} Macropoxy 646 color B58 w610(mill white) in a gallon, hardener for the Macropoxy B58 V600 in a gallon... now I used the prime because my bilge was real rough, I sanded the crap out of the bilge and used the macropoxy to help fill in over the rough spots and low spots, the marcopoxy is real thick, it did a great job of filling in inperfections. Then I sanded the macropoxy with 180 gt once it hardened. Then I used the high solids polyurethane paint B65w311 exrtra white in a gallon, hardner for that is B60V30 and that is a quart, they will also tint it to any color you want...the top color I used is a gloss, the macropoxy prime is a satin....
Did you spray both applications? If so what type of gun n nozzle did you use?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The macropoxy is a top coat and does not need to be coated over. I believe you can thin it and spray it but it is THICK. It will fill screw holes with ease. I used long nap 4" rollers, throw away trays and throw away brushes. The home depot has them as package deals for like $5. I did 2 coats on mine but it is thick enough that you could get away with one.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J your probably right marcopoxy can be used as a top coat, but I asked my SW dealer what I should use since I had spots sanded down to the bare glass, he recommended using Marco as a primer and a filler, and go over the Macro with 646 poly for glossy finish....I rolled mine with a foam rollers for a smoother finish, but if your using the marcropoxy and going to use foam rollers, get the good ones, the chemicals in the marcopoxy hardener will tear up the cheap ones quick.....I put 2 coats of macropoxy and 2 coats of 646 poly. didn't spray it came out pretty smooth with the foam rollers, and I will tell you this it is hard as nails, dropped plenty of wrenches in the bilge after I painted it no chips or nicks, powercoating chips easier than this stuff does....
Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Whatever you do please don't use that ****! I have used it twice and it does not dry and is the ****tiest paint I have ever used. I just did mine in DuPont Imron. They have a brushing/rolling solvent. It is the best most durable paint you can use.
No idea what the hell you did, or did not do, but have used the professional series rustoleum(from lowes) on several boat, every one tuned out great, nice gloss, flowed out great, did not use any additives and brushed 2 coats allowing 2 days to dry between, always help up great, and my currant boat has been done almost 4 years and still looks like the day I did it..and that after a oil line failure and steering line blowing apart and covering everything in oil twice....now you can't paint it when it's 30 deg and expect to dry, of if you do not let 1st coat dry properly...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
No idea what the hell you did, or did not do, but have used the professional series rustoleum(from lowes) on several boat, every one tuned out great, nice gloss, flowed out great, did not use any additives and brushed 2 coats allowing 2 days to dry between, always help up great, and my currant boat has been done almost 4 years and still looks like the day I did it..and that after a oil line failure and steering line blowing apart and covering everything in oil twice....now you can't paint it when it's 30 deg and expect to dry, of if you do not let 1st coat dry properly...
If you add a little of this you can repaint in 20 minutes and will be hard as nails in less then an hour.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with Ezstriper, I have had great luck with the Rustoleum.