89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect

Notices

89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect

Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
Why not mount them up on the very top of the transom lip area (shift brackets) so that they are hidden. If there isn't too much clutter remote oil filter mounts can go down lower on the transom for access.
Damn that's a great idea for the shifter brackets, I actually have quite a bit of room that I could install them at the transom itself - thanks for the idea!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Sorry guys for being away without update for so long but this thing has had me churning some late nights and i still gotta work at 8am. Here's a summary

Port motor went in nice and smooth but starboard took two weekends to get aligned right. then with the rest of the rigging it's been late nights. I pulled all nighters working on the damn thing the last two saturdays but still not in the water. This past sunday I was putting the finishing touches and realized I was short two nylon nuts for the outdrives, 7/16 by 20 thread. No one in town had them and the marine shops were all closed. So, I decided to run then on the hose anyways and cranked my ass off but no start. realized that I didn't fill the new fuel water separator before installing so pump isn't sucking anything in. BUT, also saw oil in bilge, ****! Stand on my head and I see a constant stream of oil pouring down from the oil pad adapter on starboard side. I installed these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1134/overview/ I think that rubber oring must have shifted during install so I now ordered one of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-580 which seems to have am much more secure mating surface.

Then starting cranking on port. no oil leak from the pad so that one must have gone on straight but do have an oil leak from one of the many fittings. don't know if it needs to be tightened or replaced, will find out tonight or tomorrow. also have a water leak from what looks like the water pump so got a new gasket for that as well.

Got both outdrives on but one is leaking lube from the mating surface so must be an oring thing i have to get into, what sucks is that i don't know how much actually leaked out so i may have to drain and refill the thing to know that it's full, i don't have reservoirs so can't fill them that way.

I start tearing into it tonight, removing exhaust mani's and **** so i can get to the oil stuff on both motors. oh yea, one of my drive indicator cables broke during reinstall so have to find out size tonight and order one of those too.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Registered

as for the mounting of cpu and shift brackets, I made some "custom" brackets out of some aluminum angle and sheet. I'll be at the boat tonight and will snap some pics of my setup. It's not the prettiest thing but it will work.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

Here's a pic of the oil filter bracket I made. Also have a digital tach/hour meter above the filter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524908[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-oil-mount.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 04:41 AM
Registered

hi im new i need a windshield for a 1985 scarab iii.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Any new updates? Enjoying the thread and seeing your progress.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hello,
I know this is an Old post.
I have a 1989 Scarab III that I pulled the motors out for ReBuild. Time to address any issues in the Engine Compartment.
I know the minor stringers are suspect (Tannin weeping after major washdown).

My questions are related to the perpendicular minor stringers I have in the picture.
I notice that you do not have them in the before pictures and added them in the after pictures.

1) Were these stringers 'optional' :-) from the factory?
2) Or is this evidence that there has been previous Stringer work done?

Love the thread!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548637[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 89 Scarab lll, Transom, Stringer, Paint, .......ect-imag0448.jpg  

Last edited by DanWentworth; 12-10-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:38 AM
Registered

Dan,

Sorry for such a late response, I've been away for a while. Mine didn't come with the perpendicular stringers under where the engines go. I only have those that go from front to back. Now on the sides I built shelves/platforms for more batteries or whatever else I want to stick in there. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.