99' 32' Fountain Fever - wet sand >

99' 32' Fountain Fever - wet sand

Notices

99' 32' Fountain Fever - wet sand

Old 11-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' 32' Fountain Fever - wet sand

Is it worth it to have my boat wet sanded and wheeled out? It's faded from the years in the sun and I don't want to spend 8-10k on a paint job.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

depends on how bad the gel is. Try it in a small area and see how it comes out. I wet sanded some fender rash on the black gel of my boat. Scared the chit out of me when I finished sanding. But after buffing with a circular machine and several levels of compound and polish, it came out sweet.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What color is the hull and how much is chalked or faded? There are a number of things you can do besides a new paint job ; You can have the boat wrapped ,there are a lot of new developments in wraps in the last eight months ........The new ones look really good up close because they are a two step process and it is one third the price of a good paint job. You can have the boat buffed out and cleaned and then shoot clear Emron over the glass ......or you can keep buffing and waxing every year until your arm falls off or you can pay some stooge to do the job every year. Or last but not least you can put some really big graphics on the sides of the hull to cover and distract .

Jim
Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all white, and is no longer a brilliant white. More of a dirty white color on the sides and bottom, the bow is the best looking. It's not very chalky and still has a decent gel coat.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Try Presta Cut, I was referred to it by Off Exc.. and it is some good chit!! you apply with foam compounding pad and it out sweet!! glossy smooth finish then seal it in with Fleetwax. I used to wet sand all the time on my last boat yearly and this is some good stuff. Only did it in spring and it still looks great!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, presta gel compound is awesome!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

if you like the paint scheme... then yes! best way to bring back faded gel we do it all the time
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyj08
It's all white, and is no longer a brilliant white. More of a dirty white color on the sides and bottom, the bow is the best looking. It's not very chalky and still has a decent gel coat.
get a 5 gal bucket dump some ON-OFF bottom cleaner in there mixed with some water and use a deck brush on the hull bottom that will make it white again. Buff and wax will make the hullsides look new.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have it easy being all white ..its a 3 person operation on that boat ,one person sanding one running the hose and a third running a squeege .you will be suprised how fast it goes .if it doesn't have gloss I prefer more sanding and less slinging a Makita .especially on a 30' boat .if not done inside and it prob won't cause your going to make amess ,make sure there is no wind and nobody mowing nearby ,that will help keep thel ittle "pigtails)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That will help keep the little "pigtails " out of the finish if you use a air powered palm sander on your first passes ,and when you switch to buffer to finish .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.