1987 IMP 25.5 Hull info needed "Stringers/Inner liner" With Pics >

1987 IMP 25.5 Hull info needed "Stringers/Inner liner" With Pics

Notices

1987 IMP 25.5 Hull info needed "Stringers/Inner liner" With Pics

Old 02-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1987 IMP 25.5 Hull info needed "Stringers/Inner liner" With Pics

After going back and forth on some of the other members builds and their stringer and hull setups. And with this boat and a old 1976 jet boat my brother and I are restoring. I should have my fair share in fiberglass knowledge. I'm trying to figure out exactly how mine was assembled or the reasoning why it was built this way and the pros and cons. Another OSO member FIXX has commented on one of my older post and said mine had a "inner liner". With that being said this model has some odd type stringers or am I looking at this all wrong. "If" my stringers for the engine mount were bad I should basically only have to take out the rear liner? Meaning since i pulled my gas tank the "Engine Mount Stringers" do not continue under the gas tank. I'm currently scrapping another boat identical to mine since it was pretty much trashed. Making a transom bar for the deck! But in the process I'm learning how these hulls were made. The glass is super thick but the outer stringers are 2x4 which i don't believe go past the tank as well and the engine stringers are more of a 4x4. I really love this boat and getting ready to go balls to the wall on it installing new interior, engine hatch, new engine build and upgrading Trailer to bunk. ??? So the answer i'm looking for is, is this boat easier to repair stringers then most hulls? My dad has the exact same boat and he's looking to lower the height of his floor so any info I can gather will help with his also. Thank OSO! Thanks for looking!

Here are some pics to show exactly what i'm talking about.

The boat in question. Rear shot showing layout.

Gas Tank opening. Center delaminated which is fixed just not updated pics but to show the "4x4" stringers don't continue from engine bay.

Floor Layout and front of Gas tank.

Engine Bay with Engine Mount

The one i'm scrapping with transom cut off so you can see the "Inner Liner" and how it was constructed.

Another of the Scrapped IMP different angle.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can replace from the bulk head back. Just go to a traditional stringer system. Search for Formula builds they have the same construction.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
You can replace from the bulk head back. Just go to a traditional stringer system. Search for Formula builds they have the same construction.
My 255 Formula has a full inner liner but it's a bit different from yours. My inner liner sits on top of the traditional stringer layout...although the outboard stringers are smaller than usual.. I have a 12" gap between the inner liner and the main hull. I have attached pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In the first pic you see the lay out of the bilge, the second pic shows the depth between the liner and the hull. In the last pic you get a sense og the distance from the engine center lines to the keel.

Your boat doesn't have the traditional stringer system and you have a good opportunity to incorporate it gaining the strength it provides. It will also allow you to raise the "X dimension" adding a bit of performance. If you notice how deep my drives set up you can see the penalty I pay for running so deep in the water...It does handle rough water well though !! LOL

Look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
My 255 Formula has a full inner liner but it's a bit different from yours. My inner liner sits on top of the traditional stringer layout...although the outboard stringers are smaller than usual.. I have a 12" gap between the inner liner and the main hull. I have attached pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In the first pic you see the lay out of the bilge, the second pic shows the depth between the liner and the hull. In the last pic you get a sense og the distance from the engine center lines to the keel.

Your boat doesn't have the traditional stringer system and you have a good opportunity to incorporate it gaining the strength it provides. It will also allow you to raise the "X dimension" adding a bit of performance. If you notice how deep my drives set up you can see the penalty I pay for running so deep in the water...It does handle rough water well though !! LOL

Look forward to seeing your progress.
Thanks for the reply! My x-dimension actually runs very well where it is and handles the rough perfectly. But my dad's x-dimension on his boat is 3" higher (also TRS) but at WOT he can't get enough trim out of it and is a little crazy around 76. Thanks for the pics! At least if I ever have to replace the engine stringers it wouldn't be as involved as the traditional type. Although I do love the inner liner for its cleanliness and not the rough surface of just bare fiberglass.