Sand Blasting in Place of Grinding Fiberglass >

Sand Blasting in Place of Grinding Fiberglass

Notices

Sand Blasting in Place of Grinding Fiberglass

Old 10-12-2016, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sand Blasting in Place of Grinding Fiberglass

Anyone have experience with Blasting Fiberglass to remove debris , then finish grinding ?
I have a rather large project to recore and would like to cut my grinding time some.
If I could sand blast all the crap off the bottom , then hit it with the grinder to even the surface . I think
I could save about 3 or 4 days of grinding . I Hate to forking Grind......
Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if this is the same but a few years ago I saw a marina on the north side of Chicago doing a Soda Blast of a hull-- it was pretty nasty but it was taking all the "gunk" off. From what I remember - it wasn't a very fast process but it sure did a pretty good job.

All the best

3pointstar
Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Sounds like the only way to make grinding glass even more of a messy dusty lung cancer of a job
Old 10-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i use a sandblaster occasionally for some specific removal and surface prep tasks but have never tried it for core removal. My thoughts are its more of a surface prep rather then material removal but can take off loose stuff. If used for material removal its difficult to keep the process very even, you could be left with a "hill and valley" surface thats gonna need grinding anyway. I'd say give it a shot and see how it works. I could see it working on core removal like if you cut one surface off and had access to the rotted core, it could be blasted away and if your careful would be left with a surface ready for core but you would have to clean up all the edges. I have used a sand blaster to prep inside surfaces on builds where i went out side the window of the air inhibited property of the resin and needed to wake it back up for subsequent layers.

Give it a shot let us know

you will definitely need a pressure blaster and not the gravity feed bucket type
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
i use a sandblaster occasionally for some specific removal and surface prep tasks but have never tried it for core removal. My thoughts are its more of a surface prep rather then material removal but can take off loose stuff. If used for material removal its difficult to keep the process very even, you could be left with a "hill and valley" surface thats gonna need grinding anyway. I'd say give it a shot and see how it works. I could see it working on core removal like if you cut one surface off and had access to the rotted core, it could be blasted away and if your careful would be left with a surface ready for core but you would have to clean up all the edges. I have used a sand blaster to prep inside surfaces on builds where i went out side the window of the air inhibited property of the resin and needed to wake it back up for subsequent layers.

Give it a shot let us know

you will definitely need a pressure blaster and not the gravity feed bucket type
Dave , have you used blasting for creating a profile ? Did it need additional prep or was the blasted surface ready for bonding .
I'm trying to remove the little bit of Balsa still stuck to the hull , and Some plywood stringer fragments bonded in the strakes .
If I could clean up the edges with a grinder.... Blast the whole surface , and start bagging down core and glass right away that would be bad azz.

I have a 6Cuft Pot with a 185 CFM compressor . I also have a Plastic Media Machine on the way too.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

you want a hell of a deal on plastic media? i bought a bunch of items from an industrial auction and in that lot were two 55 gallon drums of coarse plastic media, new virgin stuff. its 16-20 Polymedia Polyplus and it is an over full 55 gallon drum.

this stuff . . . i have around three hundred fifty pounds give or take. I have just been sitting on it hoping to pass on a deal to someone that can use it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-LB-NEW-Pl...-/281278423817

http://www.ustechnology.com/PDFs/poly%20folder.pdf

Have not tried profile blasting, my grinder skills are hyper tuned lol
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Registered

Dave , PM me your number , I am interested in the media.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Registered

JUST got done blasting a Hydrostream , Had 3 previous paint jobs on it, stripped it to the Metal flake gelcoat, Gonna be a bich to sand smoof,
Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a car stripped by soda blasting. It is a great way to remove, paint, dirt etc., but is somewhat expensive.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Registered

Ive used soda also , but on bare metal if will corrode if allowed to get wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.