Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How do you finish gel under clear gel to match what was sprayed in the mold? >

How do you finish gel under clear gel to match what was sprayed in the mold?

Notices

How do you finish gel under clear gel to match what was sprayed in the mold?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How do you finish gel under clear gel to match what was sprayed in the mold?

I am redoing the some holes in my dash and was wonder how to finish the gel. Boat has a top layer of clear gel over the color. Once the colored gel is laid down and sanded smooth what grit should i finish it too? Should It be finished to 180 then a light coat of color applied then the clear. Or can i get away with just sanding to 180 then clearing or will that show the scratches underneath?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

post some pics of your project, it may help get your question answered
pics help alot, it's a bonus for a paying member
i don't know jack, but clear gel over tinted gel sounds funny
Old 10-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

How do you finish gel under clear gel to match what was sprayed in the mold?-20171008_105438.jpg
This is what I have... A bad color match but that not the main issue. Lol Hopefully the new gel will match much better. Anyway the dark around the edges is actually clear, the pink is the red gelcoat, and the different color red is where I tried to fill in stress cracks. I am trying to just spot in the small stuff,and fill a couple hloes in the dash. At this point I am not sure that's possible... But I really don't want to re gel the entire cockpit to get it to blend in. Is their a way to spot in?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

i used spectrum patch paste for my searay, best part was send email to searay w/ hull number and they gave me the original color code and original manufacturer of gel.
called spectrum, they have their own cross reference it comes in 2 oz jar, air drys and matches very well.

heres the link to spectrum, but i would give a shout out to glassdave for some advice, he's oso's resident fiberglass genius.
there is also enough youtube videos on how to patch what you have and / or get yourself in a mess
good luck on it

Spectrum Color Boat Search