1708 and and then what ?

Notices

1708 and and then what ?

Old 05-14-2018, 01:27 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default 1708 and and then what ?

thank you in advance for any pro clarification on this,

for example tabbing in new ply and/or in general build up.
"IF" understood correctly the mat that is stitched onto 1708 is to improve the secondary bond,/ peel strength
in conjunction w/ ve resin when applied to a freshly ground surface and /or hot coated ply.

let's say the lay up isn't a mix of various weights and materials
so after a / the first layer of 1708 goes down can subsequent layers be 1700 so long as it's wet on wet ?
if so, how wet ? immediately, or each layer within a certain time frame ?

done correctly a 20 yard job that would wipe out a five of resin using 1708
how would the same job compare if the first layer was 1708 followed up by 1700,
both jobs being identical and having the same number of layers and tabbing, which would have what advantages ?

thank you again

eidt in cant' fix the title !

Last edited by outonsafari; 05-14-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1708 is a plus or minus 45. If you wanted to follow it up with a 1700 I would do it at the same time. Keep in mind that a lot of boats were built with a 24 oz woven roven with no matt for years. The advantage of laying up 2 or more laminates at the same time is that you will use less resin. There is also no grinding between laminates and no secondary bonding. If its a small part its easy. If its a very large part you need more people to follow behind with the second laminate. The disadvantage is if its a large part that requires laminates on both sides the extra resin can cause the part to bow. Remember, the resin shrinks as it cures.
I've done 40 ft of stringers that require 3 laminates all at the same time. Everything is precut. We'll start the first laminate. After 5 ft the next person is laying down the second and then the third person starts the third laminate. Theres no mixing because we have a resin gun. Its not rolled out because we use a 4 inch brush and spreader to eliminate excess resin.

Unless you do it for a living, I would only glass one laminate at a time. Its to easy to get caught and have the resin gel. If you are just tabbing parts its easy to do 2 or 3 laminates at once.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

thank you
when i tabbed some things in, i had 12 inch 1708, all pre-cut for length so the layers would overlap and all the resin was pre-poured.
the first layer got wet out and applied, immediately followed by the second layer.

the leftover few ounces of the first mix could still pour out of the cup by the time the second layer was finished.
in some areas the tabbing also had to wrap around an edge and i had trouble keeping it down.
( unless there was substantial amount of material on both sides of the wrap, which couldn't always happen )

later on while doing some experimenting it seemed like the 1700 wrapped around edges much easier
but w/out the mat stitched on the pieces would come out of shape pretty easy and make a mess

total beginner but interested in learning more and getting better at it.

thanks again

Last edited by outonsafari; 05-15-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tab is going around an edge its best to round it off if you can. Anything shorter than an inch probably won't lay down. I usually will put a mat over it to keep it down. Typically my tabs are 6" 10" and 14". This gives me a 2 inch over lap.
Here's another way with tabbing. If the tab is longer than 2 ft I'll wet it out on a piece of cardboard and roll it up. You could probably go as long as 10 ft with out a problem. Wear 3 sets of gloves. After its rolled up wet out where its going to go. Roll out the tab using your hands to get it into place. Peel off a set of gloves. Take a 4 inch brush with resin on it and brush out all excess resin and air going in one direction. This should only take 5 minutes or less. Wet out and roll up the second tab and do the same thing. After wipe up the runs and excess resin. With a 1708 you don't need a steel roller to get the air out. The 4 inch brush works great.