Filling transom hole 2" >

Filling transom hole 2"

Notices

Filling transom hole 2"

Old 04-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Filling transom hole 2"

Wanting to raise the outdrive 2". Need to fill bottom of the cutout 2". What's the best method? Transom is roughly 2 1/2" thick
Old 04-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I did this. trace the bottom half of the existing cut out, Them cut that shape into 2 pieces of 3/4 marine ply and stick the 2 pieces together with resin and mat. Then with corebond or thickened resin glue the piece in. Take wooden dowel of the right size and glue that into the bolt holes. Next take your trusty 4" angle grinder with a 36 grit flap disk and start grinding the inside and out side feathering back 6-8". Then start building it up with 1708 and resin start with smaller pieces going to bigger pieces, Keep your laminate layers as smooth as possible and lay it up a little thicker than you thing you need to, Then you need to grind that back down flush and FLAT on both sides. Getting it flat is the hardest part.
Also helps to take your Bravo jig and put it on the existing cutout and mark your X beforehand as it will help locating your new X
Old 04-23-2020, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I did this. trace the bottom half of the existing cut out, Them cut that shape into 2 pieces of 3/4 marine ply and stick the 2 pieces together with resin and mat. Then with corebond or thickened resin glue the piece in. Take wooden dowel of the right size and glue that into the bolt holes. Next take your trusty 4" angle grinder with a 36 grit flap disk and start grinding the inside and out side feathering back 6-8". Then start building it up with 1708 and resin start with smaller pieces going to bigger pieces, Keep your laminate layers as smooth as possible and lay it up a little thicker than you thing you need to, Then you need to grind that back down flush and FLAT on both sides. Getting it flat is the hardest part.
Also helps to take your Bravo jig and put it on the existing cutout and mark your X beforehand as it will help locating your new X
Good info Phragle, I have a little 18.5' Checkmate hull I am planning on doing this to with alpha setup for local river bomber. This method was my first thought but then wondered if not filling everything and re-cutting all together was better. Glad to hear this works, I'll probably do it this way.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

With an al[ha or single bravo I would do my way...now if your trying to hang 6's with big motors in a big boat, it may be a bit different....