Crownline hulls?

Notices

Crownline hulls?

Old 10-03-2021, 05:55 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Crownline hulls?

Looking at a cruiser for the family/friends. Saw one at a boat show a few weeks ago and it looked nice, but don't know much about their hulls other than what the vids say on their website. I don't care about the rest it's just other manufacturers **** that can be dealt with. I boat on Long Island Sound which is a great body of water, boat-able most of the time but will kick up and beat your head in other times, don't want a **** hull out there.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

A friend of mine had a 266 ltd..not the best riding boat in the world but we beat the snot out of it and it never said uncle.....
The following users liked this post:
Indy (10-04-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Crownline Boats

Originally Posted by phragle
A friend of mine had a 266 ltd..not the best riding boat in the world but we beat the snot out of it and it never said uncle.....
Never personally owned one, but had a neighbor with one, far as I know he still runs it on LOTO. I used to know one of the Chemical Engineers with the company, He retired from there and was also an NFL Official. Cannot remember if he was a referee or back judge. Great guy and loved his work both on and off the field. Passed away a few years ago after he retired from the NFL.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Yeah...I don't expect an 18 degree hull to ride well, but that's not what that type of boat is for and I have to accept that. My biggest problem is going from an offshore boat which are pretty much the best built hull around to a cruiser that has some coremat in the hull. I know they use chopper for the first layer but that's just to prevent print- through, I know that they use woven roving but how many layers?

Thanks for the input though, running LOTO or Lake Erie is not easy on hulls.

Last edited by Indy; 10-04-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I had a 266 open bow I ran on LOTO. There are a ton of them and the later 270s running around the lake. Never experienced or heard of any issues with the hulls. The pre-‘98 Crownlines did not use the XL pressure treated wood and were more prone to rot in the floors/stringers/transom.
The following users liked this post:
Indy (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

What year and model are you looking at?
Old 10-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by xlint89
What year and model are you looking at?
It'll be late model, maybe a couple years old max. If I have a good enough year maybe new but letting someone else take the hit is probably best. It'll be a 294CR

Old 10-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

I have an 08 315 SCR, same as 325 SCR in later years. Hull quality is decent, not great. I dont have a lot of time on different cruisers, but what I can say is, the Crownline (or Crapliner, as I refer to it, since I dont really like cruisers) rides quite a bit better than my friends Formula 330ss, and rattles/bangs a hell of a lot less. This is not just my opinion, but his, and his wife and friends who have been on both boats.

Not sure how beam and deadrise relate from the 294 to the 315, so things might be a bit different.