Removable Floor Repair- Plywood Replacement >

Removable Floor Repair- Plywood Replacement

Notices

Removable Floor Repair- Plywood Replacement

Old 10-08-2022, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Removable Floor Repair- Plywood Replacement

The floor had some soft spots and I'm guessing the plywood has delaminated inside

the glass layers. So I got the floor out today and need advice first on removing the old plywood. It looks similar in construction as a transom, so I'm thinking I have make a bunch of shallow cuts with a circular caw and chisel it out. Seeing pics of transom projects, it looks like loads of fun. I hope this is easier.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I had to replace the wood inside my two engine compartment lids because the wood core went soft. I cut around the edge with a fiber disc on a 4" grinder, then pried up the edge and started peeling off the bottom fiberglass. Once I had the bottom fiberglass layer off, I used a broad air chisel and knocked off the wood, ground off the wood, went with fiber core from Fiber Glast and laid up a new bottom and braces. Good as new!
Old 10-10-2022, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced a floor panel in a '79 Cig and found it easiest to just start over. Used the old piece as a template, added reinforcing where needed and then glassed the whole piece, sanded and painted the top side. This way you know it's 100% sealed.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine was an easy single piece rectangle.