Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
What paint to use >

What paint to use

Notices

What paint to use

Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What paint to use

Need some input on what folks have been successful with. Alot of people have said basecoat/clearcoat but I hear it's not very resilient. Imron is great but I've been told it really can't be wet sanded or polished out. Now I hear there's an Imron clear overcoat- sandable?

I see these megabuck graphics/paint jobs and I have to assume they're cleared over - from the looks of them they're highly sanded and buffed out. What are these guys using?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: What paint to use

All those paint jobs your seeing are base/clear. The urethane clears are very durable and have good uv protection. The drawback is you have to treat it like you would your shiny new car. A drunken tie up could cost you some green!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Automotive Polyurathane base coat-clear coat from BASF. Its been on the boat over 3 years and stills looks like new. Its never been waxed and I only have a cockpit cover. Plus the boat stays out side year around. It looks as good as my brand new car. I wash it and go. My boat used to be ugly faded red, faded grey, and off white. Now its bright white, candy blue and candy purple! You will need experence painting, Painting a boat is a huge job. I painted cars for over 20 years at car dealerships and swore I would never do another. My boat is a 87 Baja 240 and people think it is new.

Russ
Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Registered

Russ... I would love to see pics of your 240. I got one myself and the factory paint is getting to the point where I have to buff it out a couple times a season. So I plan to paint it this spring.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

awlgrips the toughest paint i've ever seen but it only comes in solid colors. i shooting my engine bay right now...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have questions about imron clears there is imron 5000 and 6000 i don't know what the diff is but any body shops repairing tractor trailers will have a painter well versed with it and the will be alot more approachable the the ARTISTS painting boats...my father had a 12ft section of the side of his 70ft huckins sport fish painted and they rubbed in the vertical blend line from toe rail to that waterline stripe. the guy painted it first thing in the am then wet sanded and buffed around noon before the part got too hard to buff. i imagine if you try painti g and buffing a test panel you will get good results just remember to do a test panel and not the boat while your on the learning curve. good luck, ratman
Old 04-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ G.
I used Automotive Polyurathane base coat-clear coat from BASF. Its been on the boat over 3 years and stills looks like new. Its never been waxed and I only have a cockpit cover. Plus the boat stays out side year around. It looks as good as my brand new car. I wash it and go. My boat used to be ugly faded red, faded grey, and off white. Now its bright white, candy blue and candy purple! You will need experence painting, Painting a boat is a huge job. I painted cars for over 20 years at car dealerships and swore I would never do another. My boat is a 87 Baja 240 and people think it is new.

Russ

but you will do another
Old 04-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Re: What paint to use

Chris, I'm using Speis/ Hecker Products, With flex in the basecoat on my 30' Sutphen. We've painted about 10 boats this way & No Problems.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to really do some dirt control if you do base and clear..but with all the many paints I have used..this job comes out like a million bucks everytime.just have to master prep and environment...dirt patrol..keep area wet no wind through shop ..hose everything before bringing boat in..ceiling..walls ,shelves..entire shop...keep at the perfect temp for your materials..go with medium..not fast!!! Wet floor while painting!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered

I paint Super Cat race boats and only use PPG base/ clear system. It will hold up to ths high speeds and pounding. It is also great to do repairs once boat gets damaged.

Quick Reply: What paint to use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.