Filling up >

Filling up

Notices
Formula

Filling up

Old 02-01-2002, 03:18 PM
ILL Behavior

Post Filling up

Working on a few winter projects on my 272. Need a little help on one of the task. Last summer after a hard run, or on humid days, it was very difficult to put gas in the tank. It seemed like a vapor barrier was preventing gas getting to the tank, would even get splash back. The vent seemed to be working but still the problem. Anyone got any ideas on the problem and a fix?

Old 02-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
First, make sure there is no dip in the fuel fill hose or the vent hose. If there is, lift them to see if you can hear fuel running out of them and into the tank. If that's your problem, clamp the hoses so you aren't getting a dip, and make sure the vent line stays higher than the fill line. Let me know how you do.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I was having the same problem with my boat and it would up being a restriction in the vent line. I guess that the screen on the vent fell out and some little guy decided to make his home in there. Well needless to say he got a 100mph ride when I took the hose out of the boat and put air to it from the air compressor and blew out the obstruction

Jon
Old 02-02-2002, 11:41 AM
ILL Behavior

Thanks guys, I'll look at both those situations.

Old 02-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill Behavior, I think it is Formula trait, I have owned three they all did it. Also depends on where you fuel your boat. If the fuel has a short run from underground tank to the pump the fuel is cool in the line, it will burp more when it hits the warm fuel in your tank.Try turning the pump nozzle upside down it seems to fill easier that way. Good Luck, Mark
Old 02-07-2002, 04:00 PM
ILL Behavior

Hey Mark,

I am starting to think you may be right, I checked all of the clamping (how the hoses were runnng and secured) and the vent passage, everything seemed OK. I did try turning the nozzle upside down once last summer and it helped a little, but man-o-man, one day it took about fourty minutes to fill-up. Plan on going to the Miami Boat Show and hope to talk to the Formula guy's. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same thing happens to mine when I fill up during warm weather. I think all you need to do is not push the nozzle all the way into the fuel fill, seems to solve the problem.