New pics of an old bird

Notices
Formula

New pics of an old bird

Old 05-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New pics of an old bird

Just thought I'd post a couple of my old 357 on Lake Travis.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails New pics of an old bird-lake-travis-016s.jpg   New pics of an old bird-lake-travis-015s.jpg  
Old 05-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New pics of an old bird

Nice. Do you still have that boat?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered

So far. By old I meant old boat. Next year she'll be old enough to drink. :-)

Those were taken a couple of weeks ago. I have been thinking about putting her up for sale for something newer though. Here are a couple more pics.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails New pics of an old bird-formula-357-pan.jpg   New pics of an old bird-formula-engines.jpg   New pics of an old bird-55842718_1.jpg  

Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that thing looks huge on the trailer (last pic). I see you've got blower motors too!! What'll the BigBird run on a good day?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: New pics of an old bird

Yeah those old 357s are definitely big. It is a lot bigger than a new 353 and nearly the same size as a new 382 but heavier. Those motors are making about 550hp a side and the most that will push her to is about 77 mph on a good day. 99% of the time we're cruising along at about 50mph. It will go about 50 without making any boost. The difference in the fuel bill is considerable once you starting getting into the boost. The x dimension is low so it gets on plane very quick and easy with only about 2psi. Then I usually just keep the tachs equal, watch the boost gauges and try to keep the boost at 0. Hit the throttles and the boost will instantly hit 5-6psi. It goes from 50 - 70 very quickly. If someone is standing up it will put them on their ass in a hurry. So, you have to be careful.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is same paint scheme mine had on it when I bought it 5 years ago.

What kind of trailer and what tow vehicle you use?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered

The trailer is an Quick Load. 1988 model I think.

In the one pic it looks like the rear bunks don't support the transom. But, that was just because the boat was not up all the way on the trailer.

I pull it with an F250 7.3 Powerstroke. Pulled it all the way from Lake Champlain in Burlington VT (about 4 hours north of New York City) down here to San Antonio, TX. 2300 miles. I won't do that again. The truck pulled it fine. All that driving wore me out though.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered

Have you done anything to update cabin or dash?

I've got both projects on drawing board but no progress yet. Biggest hold up is template for an insert in dash so I can get white (or yellow) background. You haven't made a template of the area inside the raised area of dash panel have you?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Registered

I haven't done anything yet except for replace a few gauges. I have some gauges that are a bit newer but still stock that I plan on using. I would like to paint the dash all white but don't want to deal with removing the windshield and then worrying about it getting scratched and the black showing up underneath. My dash has some cracking in it that I would like to cover up. My dad's 1983 272 had a thin black textured dash pad that I am sure is just secured to the top of the dash with adhesive. My idea for my dash was to buff it out and then find some sort of similar material to cut to fit and stick it to the dash. I like it better than the slick fiberglass anyway as stuff did not slide as easily. But, I have not been able to find any suitable material to use. For my gauges all I am going to do is pull them and repaint the gauge cluster.

I haven't done anything to my cabin interior. I still have the disco red seats. I think I'm just going to take everything that is covered in red off and have an upholstry shop redo it in grey vinyl. I think it will make a big difference even though that is a pretty qucik and easy way to redo the cabin. The rest (except for the carpet) is in pretty good shape. I will have to replace the carpet ansd probably some of the wood in the floor and one of the cabinets due to a leaky hatch that the former owner decided to never fix.
Attached Thumbnails New pics of an old bird-55842718_9.jpg   New pics of an old bird-55842718_7.jpg  

Last edited by bford1; 05-10-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

Mine has same interior. I'm going to redo using some fabric thats an UltraLeather knock off--Majilite I think. I'm still working on a color plan so I'm colloecting all the pictures of interiors I see.

I'm thinking that I'm going to do a "padded" dash to cover up all the black. Mine has oxidized and even after buffing it goes right back to the dull black.

All my gauges are updated to Livorsi/Gaffrigs--which haven't impressed me. The quality is pretty average.

I've got pics at home I'll post tonite if interested--I'm "working" for today so i don't any with me.

Quick Reply: New pics of an old bird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.