loose Deck ?

Notices
Formula

loose Deck ?

Old 05-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default loose Deck ?

I've noticed in rough water it seems that there is some slop somewhere .. Seems I saw a thread where they reattached or tightened up the Deck to the Hull ? Seems almost a side to side motion and a lot of rattles ....
Old 05-23-2005, 07:48 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: loose Deck ?

I think you are talking about my 312.
The deck to dash (under the windshield) had come loose. I removed the windshield, applied adhesive in the void, and used a number of screws to pull the 2 pieces back together. Only out a few times, but seems to hold. I now notice the cabin door will rattle if it's not secured full open or full closed.
Russ C.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

saw you brought back my old thread...posted before and after pics there.

Last edited by t500hps; 05-23-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

YUP I took off my rub rail and took out all the screws, filled btwn the hull halfs with 5200 and then screwed it back together, then I used through bolts with washers on the back side to hold the entire thing together. Thing is SOLID now!!!

Jon
Old 05-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Registered

Thanks Jon .... I knew I had seen a thread ...seems you commented on getting to some of the backsides for the nuts ?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya there were about 4 or 5 of them that I did not use nuts on as it was WAY to hard to get to them and they never loosened up in the first place.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OTF,

There was a thread about this a long time ago. The screws through the rub rail, deck, and hull will strip out or break off. Sections of the rail will loosen and then the deck/hull bond begins to seperate. I replaced a majority of the screws on my 311 with heavier stainless thru-bolts with washers and nylock stop nuts. You can access the ones in the engine compartment and side coaming area pretty easily. You will need to take down the trim in the cabin area and bathroom, and pull the fridge to access the others. There will be a couple you might not be able to get at.

You will need someone to hold the screw head outside while you tighten the nut inside and it will take some interesting contortions of the human body to accomplish this. A 12-pack for one of your smallest friends would be a worthwhile investment! Don't forget to line all the screw heads up identically as they do at the Formula factory (the devil is in the details, right?)!

A pain in the backside, but well worth the time. The whole boat will feel noticeably more solid again. And you won't have to leave three clueless drunk chicks and your beer in the cockpit while you go up on the bow on the way to Put-In-Bay in six foot seas to tie wrap the flailing rub-rail and exposed screws to the deck rail to keep it from gouging the crap out of your gelcoat!

Last edited by RedDog382; 05-24-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Thanks Jon .... I knew I had seen a thread ...seems you commented on getting to some of the backsides for the nuts ?

Way to go Mike,,,,,now Cuda's gonna start posting more pictures of his "nuts".....great, just great.....
Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Registered

Its added to the List ......
Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 AM
Registered

Are The Screws that attach the Deck the hull the same ones that hold the Rub Rail ?

Quick Reply: loose Deck ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.