What is the best ever model Formula? >

What is the best ever model Formula?

Notices
Formula

What is the best ever model Formula?

Old 09-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What is the best ever model Formula?

Picking the "one" best is pretty hard. I think I'm going with Trick. When you see a really nice late '80s 357 sitting at a dock, you're looking at one huge boat. Nice lines, that long, sexy deck, squating nicely in the aft, just a cool looking boat that's hard not to notice.

Of the new generation (292, 353, 382), I'm not that familiar. Drove Axapowell's 353 and it was real nice. As Rippem said above, doesn't need much tab input, rides nice and level. Only thing I didn't like was the steering. It was kind of ambiguous, a little loose hull-wise. Nothing I couldn't get used to though
Old 09-13-2005, 06:14 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Shall we all just vote for what we have?

302 SR1

No not biased since I no longer have a boat!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Only thing I didn't like was the steering. It was kind of ambiguous, a little loose hull-wise.
He has a problem. We have discussed it, and I noticed also when I drove the boat. Loose and "ratchety".
At the very least it needs a complete fluid change. If that doesn't get it...it's a piece of trash in the helm or cylinder(s), or the helm has a bad valve.

Mine is positive, smooth and tight.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

311 & 357....They just hit it perfect with those two.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
He has a problem. We have discussed it, and I noticed also when I drove the boat. Loose and "ratchety".
At the very least it needs a complete fluid change. If that doesn't get it...it's a piece of trash in the helm or cylinder(s), or the helm has a bad valve.

Mine is positive, smooth and tight.
It's not the steering itself I don't think. It feels to me like the hull kind of slides around a bit before "biting". However, I did have to turn like 90 degrees on the wheel to get any real turnage out of the boat. I was thinking it was just the way a stepped hull handles, having never driven one before.

If it is the hydraulic steering itself giving that vague feeling, it may just need to be bled. When the steering has air in it, it may be like brakes - spongy.

Last edited by ThirdBird; 09-13-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one Guys.

So, 311 & 357 for the eighties boats & 353 for the stepped hull boats so far.

Im not too sure i want to go from a 242 to a 357 in one go, so maybe ill look at the 311's for the "mean" time.

Any other views?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

do you trim in when trying to turn a stepped hull?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by CMG
do you trim in when trying to turn a stepped hull?

NO! This is how they spin out. You keep the trim out at your running setting. If you trim in, you will lift the transom out of the water, and create a spin-out-ready condition. Keeping the trim out keeps the transom planted in the water, and allows the boat to pivot the turn on the (aft) step of the boat, rather than come around on one of the fore steps.

My 37AT has a giant 4" single step. Keep the trim out, the drives planted, and that baby will turn like its on rails.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:32 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
NO! This is how they spin out. You keep the trim out at your running setting. If you trim in, you will lift the transom out of the water, and create a spin-out-ready condition. Keeping the trim out keeps the transom planted in the water, and allows the boat to pivot the turn on the (aft) step of the boat, rather than come around on one of the fore steps.

My 37AT has a giant 4" single step. Keep the trim out, the drives planted, and that baby will turn like its on rails.
Thats why I asked!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
If it is the hydraulic steering itself giving that vague feeling, it may just need to be bled.
they are self bleeding, other than an initial install from scratch...which may need assistance, not so much 'cause it won't bleed itself out, but to speed up getting more fluid in the system before hitting the water.

it's not the hull, trust me. With 160 hrs on my 353, and having installed systems from scratch, I know what that boat and hydraulic steering should feel like. My first comment to Dave upon driving his was...

"Dude...something's wrong with your steering!"

Last edited by Rippem; 09-13-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the best ever model Formula?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.