Notices
Formula

Value of 05 280BR wrecked but repaired

Old 10-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of 05 280BR wrecked but repaired

Here is a scenario that stresses out a dealer. Very good customer crashes his near new boat over a pier. Lots and lots of cosmetic damage,nothing structural, no holes,rips off one drive and breaks transom housing,breaks windshield. Insurance claim is $28K. Boat is professionally repaired,all new parts, boat looks great. But he doesn't want a wrecked boat,wants to order an identical 06. I explain it will be expensive,as I would disclose the whole history,if he didn't want it,no one else would unless it was dirt cheap. New car dealers trade in repaired cars and wholesale them,boat dealers don't have that option. He wants me to price a trade deal and it's tough. The boat is almost flawless but it was wrecked. Sold new for cash at 105k,I figure I need to be in it real money around 70K, that will probrably insult him,but I am a businessman. Boat has twin 6.2's no arch or ss w/s. Karen's comment was"You didn't wreck it,he did". She is right,but I want to look after my customers. Comments?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Value of 05 280BR wrecked but repaired

Robert what does that mean ? 70K real money ? he can get a new 06 for 70K and his boat ? I agree with Karen ....his misfortuion .... Its gota be The cost of the new boat - what you think you can get for the damaged boat + any profit ( you gota eat) .... it is what it is ....m
Old 10-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

No,I was thinking with 06 price increase about 110K on new boat,70K tradein ,he pays diff of 40K.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dang ... I would think a trade of a 05 undamaged would not be much more than that .. If your ok with that he should be thrilled ...
Old 10-13-2005, 06:35 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

You deal with the things we call toys, but it's what puts food on your table. You've done this long enough to know better than most of us. But since your gathering opinions I agree that it will be a hard unit to sell. Having a good survey at the ready may help a potential buyer feel more at ease. Could you offer to sell the boat at little/ no commision and he pays the difference in sale price after the fact? (he buys new boat and agrees to cover any difference in what the old one brings)
Old 10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
But he doesn't want a wrecked boat...
If he doesn't want a "wrecked boat" certainly he can understand that no one does either unless it's steal. Even if someone buys it $70K, it seems to me that the boat would continue to depreciate like a rock after that, right? Assuming that the second owner would disclose the damage to the third owner of course..
Old 10-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a big loss for him but it is not like he NEEDS a new boat he WANTS a new boat. If he does not like the deal on the table then he can keep what he has. How much have you discounted for this one over a new one?

Jon
Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 927 Likes on 466 Posts

Business is business and you cant feel bad about insulting him on the trade. He knows just as well as you do that it will be hard to sell a priviously wrecked boat. If you dont feel right about it....tell him to try and sell it himself and comeback later to work out the deal on the new one. He's putting you in a bad position with you knowing all the history of the boat. Tell him youd be happy to try and broker the boat maybe...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Dang ... I would think a trade of a 05 undamaged would not be much more than that .. If your ok with that he should be thrilled ...
I agree with offthefront. Even if the '05 was perfect (never wrecked) would you give him much more than 70k on a trade?
I think you're being more than reasonable and he should be jumping all over that deal.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
I agree with offthefront. Even if the '05 was perfect (never wrecked) would you give him much more than 70k on a trade?
I think you're being more than reasonable and he should be jumping all over that deal.

I agree with Third and OfftheFront.

Sounds to me like your customer is rather "self centered" (I don't want a wrecked boat but sell it to someone else and give me the world at the same time).

I think you are being more than fair. Like another said: business is business.

Quick Reply: Value of 05 280BR wrecked but repaired

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.