Notices
Formula

Formula 353 Questions

Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 353 Questions

Hello,

After a few years away from boating, I have decided to get back into it. I have always like Formula boats and have decided that I want to get a 353. I'm looking for a used boat between a '99 and an '02. Any newer and the price gets to high.

I'm hoping you all can help me out on a few questions I have. The biggest boat I've owned before is a 20 footer so this is will be a new experience.

1) Is there a big difference between 496's, 500's, and the 525's? Of course more speed is always a good thing, and upgradeability is important, but I don't want to buy the most expensive thing out there.

2) What benefits are there of having a generator? I would like to do some cruising so I'm thinking this could be a benefit, but I've never owned a boat like this so I don't know.

3) What things should I look for to make sure a prospective used boat is in good condition?

4) Is there such a thing as a "blue book" value for Formula boats?

5) Are there any "must have" options?

6) Should I be taking a class to learn how to handle a boat this big? I've owned both a 20' I/O and a 20' inboard ski boat but never a boat with twins or as big as the 353.

7) who do you recommend for an insurance company?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Garrett
Old 11-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: Formula 353 Questions

I knew I forgot something!

I've seen one used boat with VOlvo Penta DPX500 engines and drives. Any opinion on these vs Mercruiser?

Thanks!
Garrett
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Registered

1) If speed's not an issue any of the three would suit you fine. I would personally say at least get the 500. I had the 500EFI and now have the 525. Closed cooling on the 525 is a nice feature. Both pretty much bullet proof.

2) I had a genset in the first 382 and also my current one. Nice for times when it get's hot out and you want to run the air. Other then that don't use it much.

3) Know the history of the boat. Pretty easy to tell sometimes when the owner(s) have been meticulous or not. I bought an '01 in '04 and it was like new. (2 previous owners-Traced the history)

4) Boats.com and boattrader.com have "blue book" values, but I would just start looking around and see what they're bringing in. Call Robert Nelems at Nelems and he'll shoot you straight. Bought my current Formula from him.

5) Set back boxes, EFI, AC, (Maybe not in a 353), good trailer, otherwise they come pretty much loaded!

6) My scenario was the same. I've had boats since I was 16 and was a little nervous about a twin 382. It actually is as easy, if not easier, than manuevering my 19' inboard. The twin screws make it nice. Just need to anticipate and be patient.

7) Progressive.

Just my .02, but call Robert if you don't kn ow him. He's got some good experience....Good luck!
Originally Posted by FormulaM2Formula
Hello,

After a few years away from boating, I have decided to get back into it. I have always like Formula boats and have decided that I want to get a 353. I'm looking for a used boat between a '99 and an '02. Any newer and the price gets to high.

I'm hoping you all can help me out on a few questions I have. The biggest boat I've owned before is a 20 footer so this is will be a new experience.

1) Is there a big difference between 496's, 500's, and the 525's? Of course more speed is always a good thing, and upgradeability is important, but I don't want to buy the most expensive thing out there.

2) What benefits are there of having a generator? I would like to do some cruising so I'm thinking this could be a benefit, but I've never owned a boat like this so I don't know.

3) What things should I look for to make sure a prospective used boat is in good condition?

4) Is there such a thing as a "blue book" value for Formula boats?

) Are there any "must have" options?

6) Should I be taking a class to learn how to handle a boat this big? I've owned both a 20' I/O and a 20' inboard ski boat but never a boat with twins or as big as the 353.

7) who do you recommend for an insurance company?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Garrett

Last edited by dukenrock; 11-09-2005 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FormulaM2Formula
I knew I forgot something!

I've seen one used boat with VOlvo Penta DPX500 engines and drives. Any opinion on these vs Mercruiser?

Thanks!
Garrett

I personally would stay with Mercriser but I believe C-Spray here on OSO has Volvos in his 382 so you might talk to hiim about his opinion. I've known two people who has the Volvo DPX's and they didn't particularly care for them, plus they got razzed pretty hard.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The volvos are great equipment but.....not many around and they reduce resale value because like you people are afraid of something different. I would buy them in a second if the price reflected the lower demand for the power.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 11-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

DPX500's. Kind of a strange bird. Built for Volvo by Innovation Marine. We had one,it ran very nice,but the DPX drive was weird,idled in gear at about 10 mph Had to shut down one engine to get to the gas dock The engines and drives are probrably bulletproof but resale is horrible,I doubt I would trade in one unless it was dirt cheap. A shame really,nice package,but perception is everything.A great design is worth nothing if no one wants to buy it(marketing 101)
Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

If you only want to go up to 2002 you cant get a factory genny (only in 2005 and newer I think).
Same with the engines - I believe 525's started in 2003

Of course you could always add them yourself
Old 11-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Banned

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with Volvos, if the price was right because of the Volvos. The price should be less, even if I think they are superior engines, after all, perception is reality when it comes to resale.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Installed Kohler Genset 7.5. One of wife's requirements for running A/C when temps get over 100. Did not concider the fuel consumption. Running 3-4hrs at a time, she really sucks the fuel.
Keeping wife happy #1 priority when comes to the boat. I get to spend more time on the water.

Quick Reply: Formula 353 Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.