Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Thoughts on this 1997 31PC (and 31 PC's in general) >

Thoughts on this 1997 31PC (and 31 PC's in general)

Notices
Formula

Thoughts on this 1997 31PC (and 31 PC's in general)

Old 11-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 1997 31PC (and 31 PC's in general)

I've winterized my 242LS for the winter. Despite my best efforts to NOT want a bigger boat(specifically a bigger formula), I find myself searching through the classifieds. Fuel prices have come down a bit. I'm starting to convince myself that I can afford buying AND operating a bigger boat. I am still split between a go-fast boat (Formula 311) or a cruiser. And actually the choice is even more complicated because I like the 330SS Formulas.

Are there any mid-late 90s era 31PC owners on this Board?
How do the Bravo III drives hold up in salt water 24/7?

Anyway, I noticed a 1997 31PC for sale at Full Tilt Marine (Formula dealer) in Virginia. Price is $49,900. That seems very low to me especially compared to other 31PCs I've seen advertised. Here's a link and picture.

http://www.fulltiltmarine.com/usedet...=119&type=Used

Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Thoughts on this 1997 31PC (and 31 PC's in general)

Have the boat thoroughly checked out, but that is a helluva good price for a 1997 31-PC. (As a Formula dealer, I am pretty dialed in on these things!)

In general, the 31-PC is a great boat with a lot of cabin space and still good performance, far better than any other "cruiser" out there. We are in the process of selling a 1998 31-PC in mint condition for $75k, so that should be an indicator of how good a deal you are getting if the boat is in good shape.

Good luck!

Tom
Total Marine
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Chuck,
I ran express cruisers for 10 years and just moved to a performance boat last year. Here's why I changed types of boats and you can decide what's important to you.....

A) We ran out of cruising destinations. Our boats cruised at around 28-30 and some places we go now were just too far before. Will you be happy with a smaller day cruise range. (overnights will be much more comfortable!!!)

B) We did not have the option to trailer to a different body of water....now we can, and have numerous times.

C)We spent alot of time out on the boat at the local beach/hangout spot. The cabin was great and we had fun, but eventually you want to do something else. Are you ready to be left behind on those longer trips? Note: You will find cruiser people to hang with and the're not all stuffy types either.

D)The 31 PC is a great boat, ours tended to cruise at 30 or less where this one may cruise closer to 35. If I recall that isn't that much slower than your 242. (55 tops in the 242 right? probably 45 in the 31PC) At the Annapolis show in 98 a 31PC with 454 mags was claimed to top out at 57!

E)Fuel burn will suck, but the ride will be great. 4 footers will not be of concern in that big heavy boat.

F)You'll need to operate alot of other "systems" GEN, water, head, etc. AND NOTE: Bravo III's do not like to be left in the water. You will fight a continued battle with corrosion and WILL eventually loose.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me anytime...
Russ C.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Russ,

Thanks for your perspective.

Right now we don't go that far in the 242LS. 20-30 miles at the most for lunch. And when the bay gets rough the ride home is tough. We would like to be able to overnight on the boat. We spent one night in the 242 and it was like a coffin.

There are many destinations on the Bay that I'd like to visit. Might even be fun to make a run down to the Outer Banks in NC via the intercoastal waterway. This summer we were visiting Manteo (a town just inland of the out banks). At the dock we saw a 27PC. Annapolis, MD was the town listed below the boat's name on the stern. I thought to myself that would be a great ride. I've never done any long distance runs like that.

If we do stay on the boat A/C is a must. It would be nice to have a generator so that we can anchor out. And with a 311 I suppose I could get a carryon A/C unit powered by a small Honda generator bungeed to the swim platform...

At the same I like the idea of having the boat in the water and "hanging out" at the marina. But I can see where it would be nice to be able to tow the boat to another river, lake or the ocean.

With the 242 we cruise between 35-40mph when it is calm. When the waves kick up it's more like 25mph. While the top speed is 55mph I don't run it long at those RPMs. And I think it would be great to cruise at that speed in something like a 311.

If you compare the 31PC to the 330SS it seems to me that the cruising speed for the SS wouldn't be much more than the PC right? 5mph maybe? If we were to get a 330SS we would go for an early model, the older ones start at $60K and they have 454s rather than 496s.

I know what you mean about the systems. I'm becoming more interested in comfort and bells/wistles.

Bravo IIIs, et al. We that worries me. Actually I worry about any boat that has been sitting in salt water for ten seasons. Sun and salt water does damage to boats over time. There's the trade off.

Chuck
Old 11-18-2005, 10:40 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Bravo III's have corrosion problems much worse than BI's that cause merc significant problems. In 97 they may have been OK. Just check it out.

I recall many Friday's I would meet the family at the dock and in 10 mintues we were off not to return til Sunday afternoon. Having the boat in a slip was great in that regard.

I think you are correct with speed estimates with regards to each of these boats. A trip to the outer banks would be a long 2 day trip for you.

Hanging at the docks with a "floating condo" can be fun too. I just wanted you to see that the type of boating you would be doing would change.

You changing to the 31PC gives you a loss of approx 10mph top end and 7-8 loss in cruising speed. (not a big deal) With our Fastech we increased top end almost 35mph and cruising by over 20. For that increase we are happy with the smaller cabin. Our friends ask how we can over night in this "little" boat after having 30 ft cruisers and my first thought is...." I never would have visited the places I have been to this summer if I didn't switch to this type of boat. It's been well worth the sacrifice to us" Yes, even my wife is thrilled we have a "go-fast" now, but maybe because we did the cruiser thing for 10 years.....

PS: At 49K it seems like a no-brainer as long as everything is in working order.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
DJR
Registered

My current boat is a 1994 31PC, previous boat was a 1991 311SR1. Both are great boats. The PC does 48 to 49 on GPS with base 454's, I cruise at 3400 RPM and 36 MPH. THe boat is heavy with every available option. The SR1 was better in the rough and ran 65 with 454 Mags. Fuel use on my PC is about 1.2 MPG the SR1 was about 1.4. Have a friend with a 330SS he is about 5 MPH faster than me. I miss the SR1 but spending 75 plus nights aboard with my wife and 11 year old daughter is much more comfortable on the PC. Hoping to move up to a 400 SS in the future, best of both worlds.

I also have a trailer for my PC, I keep it in a marina but take a trip annualy and also are able to winterize myself and store where I want to save $.

Bravo 3's in salt, I do not know as I am in fresh water in Wisconsin.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Thoughts on this 1997 31PC (and 31 PC's in general)

Pretty well depends on what you realisticaly want out of boating,, I personally went from a 292 Fastech to a 27pc and have had no regrets(well maybe one) but I had to be honest with myself about my boating, I've always had fast boats with cuddys until now,,but my boating consists of weekends at Silver Glen(local cruising/party spot) with the 292 I had a 40 minute boat ride each way with 2 days of marginal comfort(no a/c or toilet) with the 27pc I have an hour and 15 minute boat ride each way with a/c, generator, toilet and sat tv(gotta watch the races) for me there is no comparison....now the regret,,,If I could just get the big tub to hit 60mph...oh well.

Oh the reason for the 27 instead of the 31 was for trailering reasons,,the 31 is pretty much a pig to trailer unless you buy a whole lotta truck. and my boat lives at home in my driveway,,course the driveway is 40ft wide by 80ft long plus the turnout of the garage(another 16 wide by 24 long.

Last edited by Slick02; 11-22-2005 at 09:18 PM. Reason: cause