292 Fastech and trim-in limit spacers

Notices
Formula

292 Fastech and trim-in limit spacers

Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 292 Fastech and trim-in limit spacers

I have been reading in the MerCruiser sterndrive manual about these "trim-in limit spacers" that are installed in front of or behind the trim cylinder anchor pin. If these spacers are installed behind (further aft) of the anchor pin it prevents the drive unit from reaching the last few degrees of full trim under. It appears my 292 has these positioned like this to prevent the drive from being tucked all the way in. According to the manual this is to prevent someone from having the drives tucked too far in at high speed creating too much stern lift and causing the boat to roll on its side.

I would like to move the spacers so the drives will tuck all the way in to help the boat plane out. I only have a few hours behind the wheel and it takes a little time to plane this baby out. I figure it can use all the help I can give it. Does anyone know more about this subject, or made a change like this? How much did it help? I am running twin 6.2's and 28 pitch labbed bravos.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 292 Fastech and trim-in limit spacers

Yes , it should help you get on plane quicker, just be aware of the handling probs associated with trimmed in drives at high speed. It sounds like you already do
Also what drives and gears do you have. The reason I ask is 28" props sound a little steep for your power. Also , what is your max rpms?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
Yes , it should help you get on plane quicker, just be aware of the handling probs associated with trimmed in drives at high speed. It sounds like you already do
Also what drives and gears do you have. The reason I ask is 28" props sound a little steep for your power. Also , what is your max rpms?
Thanks mopower. This is a brand new 292 with 1.65 to 1 geared Bravo 1's. I have only opened it up twice and saw 69.1 mph GPS at 5100 rpm on sticky, flat water.

Yes, I would never run the boat with the drives tucked in all the way. Mostly neutral trim.

I am going to contact Formula next week and ask them. It appears the spacers are not in the "standard" location that MerCruiser recommends. In other words, Formula must have made the decision to change them to limit the trim-in, which is likely a conservative safety decision. If someone had it tucked all the way in, wide open, and turned the boat type thing... Something I (or anyone) should never do. Anyway, because of this I can expect Formula to say "leave the spacers where they are".

Magicfloat, do you have any experience with this? I am hoping a 292 owner that has made this change reads this and has some input.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Registered

I tried reversing the spacer on my 382 with extexsion boxes for the same reasons you are considering. Frankly, I didn't think it made any difference in planing ability and the drives just looked like they were sagging when trimmed in sitting on the trailer. I changed it back to the factory position. I'm not sure the reason for the set-up, but the people at Formula just know what they are doing and I would leave it as is.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

ttt

Thanks RedDog.

There really isn't much negative trim with the current set-up. I will try and get a picture this weekend. Any 292 owners make this change? Magicfloat?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did this on a 292 last year. It did make a nice difference on planing speed,BUT do it if you or other very knowledgable boaters(You or Kim) are the only drivers. Start trimming as soon as it noses over and do not trim all the way in at speed. Formula puts the spacers there for a reason. Disclaimer: I am not suggesting you do this,I am only answering your question if we had tried it,we have.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 01-17-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered

Thanks Robert!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Sounds like you're propped ok with your max rpms. The 1.65 gears explain the use of the 28s. I have an 89 272 , which if placed next to a new 292 is almost identical since they now count the swim platfom in the overall length and I run 28s but I have 1.50 gears and 540s.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Registered

I purchased some imco manifolds and exhausts. They claim a 40 hp increase per motor. I don't know about that but it did make a BIG difference especially getting on plane. I also saw a 4 mph increase at wot. Pretty pricey upgrade but I'm not aware of any other upgrade that will still keep your warranty in effect and get that kind of bump in performance.-Nick
Old 01-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Hey,NickM,tried the new props yet?

Quick Reply: 292 Fastech and trim-in limit spacers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.