More speed please

Notices
Formula

More speed please

Old 03-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: More speed please

That video is bad ass right on for breakin the "old boat" barriers too.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by HARDCORE A/O
You're best advised NOT to take Ian (CayFormula) up on his invitation because he WILL prove it to you.
What he's not telling you is, you need BIG kahunnas to ride in that thing at 93 (93.5 to be precise - on his Dash mounted GPS and verified by a Garmin handheld).
What he is also not telling is that we've been chasing a fuel system "ghost" for the past several months that was causing his fuel pressure to drop at WOT at high RPM's. With that sorted I figure he's got something more in the bag.
BTW: The Dart Pro -1s are CNC 335s and the camshaft specs are pretty large (sorry Ian!).
I'm convinced that this boat can do more (poss. 95 +) with a bigger prop, as is.
AND he did all the mods himself and this thing has been running reliably for at least the last three years. He even runs it across to one of our sister Islands (a 90 mile jaunt through deep ocean) at least once a year!
If you doubt how this thing runs ask Gary Ballough (I suspect you might know him) he had Ian breathing down his neck in a triple 2.5 Drag powered 30 Spectre the MDR Poker Run year before last.
AND he kicked Andreas Ugland's (remember him?) a$$ in the calmer water in a SeaTek powered Buzzi race hull!
How's that for an old home built Formula 272.
BTW: he beat me up a couple of times too, but I'm gonna get him back one of these days!
That is good,my point was that it seemed like a 272 with stock 454 with whipples,with that setup there is no way it would run that mph,Now with extremely modded engines AND blowers then ok,I would have to say that if it is a 93 MPH 272 it definently takes balls to ride in it,I have another friend with a 22 ft formula running 72 and it is a retarded ride on Lake Erie chop!!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Registered

I agree with Trout Downstream...fast river
Old 03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shorties , I would say definitely helped in my mind. 7 mph by removing the Silent Thunder WOW that's incredible. I did find out this winter i was never trimmed a high as I thought. I changed my tab indicator cables 2 years ago and they read about 2 numbers off as compared to before. # 5 used to start + trim now it's not till #7. This means when I was running #6 last year I was barely 0 trim much less any + trim.

Last edited by mopower; 03-20-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
Shorties , I would say definitely helped in my mind. 7 mph by removing the Silent Thunder WOW that's incredible. I did find out this winter i was never trimmed a high as I thought. I changed my tab indicator cables 2 years ago and they read about 2 numbers off as compared to before. # 5 used to start + trim now it's not till #7. This means when I was running #6 last year I was barely 0 trim much less any + trim.
Hi Mopower,

Did you remove the silent thunder box after your engine upgrades? I'm thinking that sounds like a really huge gain for a stock engine. With all your upgrades intact though, the reduced back pressure probably made it come alive.

Garrett
Old 03-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Registered

Mopower, I think you have some more mph hiding in there you just need to flesh them out. Interestingly my 93+ runs are with neutral trim, two people and a full tank of fuel. BTW I have never run race fuel in this boat, strictly 92 octane.

The shorties definitely helped, saw a 4mph increase but then I went with XR uppers which due to the straight cut gears that knocks off about 2-3mph so the net is only about a 1mph increase.

Anyway I am happy to continue the discussion but I am concerned that we have sort of hijacked Flatout's thread, sorry about that Flatout.[IMG]
Attached Thumbnails More speed please-under-pressure.jpg   More speed please-under-pressure-mdr2004-sound.jpg   More speed please-under-pressure-mdr2004-ocean.jpg  

Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CayFomula
Anyway I am happy to continue the discussion but I am concerned that we have sort of hijacked Flatout's thread, sorry about that Flatout.[IMG]
Cool pics! Who built your radar tower? Looks good. What's the tube diameter? Is it pretty stable?

Thanks!
Garrett
Old 03-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

The radar arch was on it when I bought it so not sure who built it but I would guess the tubing is about 1 1/4" or so. It is pretty stable.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Any vids with sound?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

Unfortunately none with sound, next time I take it out for a hard run I will carry the video (maybe if I record the GPS they will believe me ).

Quick Reply: More speed please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.